brew method for fruit veg beer?

Reaction score
in recipe builder, what is the correct brew method for veg to get water calculations correct, is it partial mash and then you top up fermenter to batch size?
can't see a boil method for such purpose, i.e. ginger beer.
I guess it kind of doesn't mater as long as there is enough sugars in the boil to get your desired gravity in the fermenter...
also would be good to have root ginger in the list of fermentable fruit/veg with its ppgo_O values so it can be in the equation.
plan on using coconut candy sugar (Gula Melaka) but don't know the ppg of this either, I think its made from palm sugar or even possibly the coconut palm.

Your right ginger aint in drop down fermentables but i recon thats because its go no sugar in it meaning it is more of a spice than a fermentable.

How about in other section and write it ino_O. Put the sugars used in fermentables section hope that is helpful.
Screenshot_20180906-192324_Samsung Internet.jpg

Like Trialben says, ginger isn't adding to fermentables. As for other ingredients, you can read the label and determine how many grams of actual sugar you're adding. You can add the candy as a custom fermentable and use PPG number that's similar to other sugars.

plan on using coconut candy sugar (Gula Melaka) but don't know the ppg of this either
If the package has nutrition facts with serving size in grams, you can calculate it. PPG = 46 x (g sugar per serving)/(serving size in g). Online I'm seeing anywhere between 35-46 PPG

If the package has nutrition facts with serving size in grams, you can calculate it. PPG = 46 x (g sugar per serving)/(serving size in g). Online I'm seeing anywhere between 35-46 PPG
ok thanks for that

The sugar is an impure sucrose, a raw sugar with some of the molasses still in it. And the proportion mentioned above is a great way to calculate the contribution. It should be in the mid 40's, depending on how impure the sugar is.

typical! packaging has very little info at all. I guess if I go with 40 I should be in the ball park

typical! packaging has very little info at all. I guess if I go with 40 I should be in the ball park
Likely low - it doesn't have that much impurity in it. I'd go with 42-45. As an example, DME contributes 42 ppg and is likely far more "impure" than your raw sugar.

Also, if you're of an engineering mindset, make a solution of it and measure the ppg. You could mix a pound in a gallon, or a half-pound in a half-gallon, or a 16th of a pound (an ounce) of the sugar in a 16th of a gallon (a cup) of water and measure the gravity of the solution.

Also, if you're of an engineering mindset, make a solution of it and measure the ppg. You could mix a pound in a gallon, or a half-pound in a half-gallon, or a 16th of a pound (an ounce) of the sugar in a 16th of a gallon (a cup) of water and measure the gravity of the solution.
thats a much better idea nosey bear, I was thinking of just topping it up on brew day and taking readings to get my desired post boil gravity, this way I know for future too

Back