Thoughts on a Brut IPA

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This style seems to be an exciting 'new" style.
Have you had any?
What are your impressions?
Have you brewed 1?
etc.
Brian

The only one I've had was good. You need to add enzymes to make it super fermentable. It should be very dry, champagne like.

Am I right in thinking this is an IPA with the remaining sugars and dextrines fermented out with enzymes? No thanks. We're down to hop juice at that point. Champagne is good because it is fruity.

We already have hopped ciders. Leave IPAs alone!! :mad:
The NEIPA craze has already all but brewed the beer out of IPAs in lieu of something that resembles pulpy fruit juice that's bitter. If all you're doing is making a bitter, dry-hopped Zima, what's the point. :D :p

We already have hopped ciders. Leave IPAs alone!! :mad:
The NEIPA craze has already all but brewed the beer out of IPAs in lieu of something that resembles pulpy fruit juice that's bitter. If all you're doing is making a bitter, dry-hopped Zima, what's the point. :D :p

I agree 100%. Tried 3 NEIPAs while in Bend, OR a few weeks ago and disliked them all equally. No bias here. They make a drink called a screwdriver that could likely be easily altered to emulate most NEIPAs.

Reactions: J A
Guess I'm on the other end. I'm a fan of the NEIPA style. Maybe it's because a couple of the local breweries are producing some of the nations best (Weldwerks, Odd13). Both make stellar examples.
I had my first Brut Ipa a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have much to compare it to, but I'll continue to sample them for sure as they come out. Tasted like a really dry ipa with not much bitterness. I found it really refreshing.

Guess I'm on the other end. I'm a fan of the NEIPA style. Maybe it's because a couple of the local breweries are producing some of the nations best (Weldwerks, Odd13). Both make stellar examples.
I had my first Brut Ipa a couple of weeks ago. I didn't have much to compare it to, but I'll continue to sample them for sure as they come out. Tasted like a really dry ipa with not much bitterness. I found it really refreshing.

To each their own. I've been a hop head since being introduced to craft beer. The NEIPAs remind me of an IPA 2 or 3 days after kegging The lack of carbonic acid throws the balance to the sweet side. The hop flavors are showcased, but to excess as my taste goes. You probably have a much broader taste for beer than I do. I try, but they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm old and feeling more like a dog every day :)

Guess I'm on the other end. I'm a fan of the NEIPA style.
I don't mind a well-crafted NEIPA at all. In fact one of my best and favorite beers is a NEIPA that I brewed up recently. I just think that there seems to be no room left on the tapwall for a solid, basic beer. I like to get a flight of beers in a taproom and have a nice array of colors, tastes and aromas to sample. A flight in a lot of places now looks literally like a sampling from a juice bar. :)

I don't mind a well-crafted NEIPA at all. In fact one of my best and favorite beers is a NEIPA that I brewed up recently. I just think that there seems to be no room left on the tapwall for a solid, basic beer. I like to get a flight of beers in a taproom and have a nice array of colors, tastes and aromas to sample. A flight in a lot of places now looks literally like a sampling from a juice bar. :)

When we did our Beercation in Bend, there was one place where we barely eked out a flight of 6 without including a NEIPA. Hopefully, it's only a fad. I don't begrudge anybody that enjoys them, but leave room among you taps for an assortment of styles.

Reactions: J A

That's unfortunate. Most places in our area have a pretty good variety to offer. Lagers seem to be on the rise in the area also.

Brut IPA’s are different. Refreshing, light and still an IPA. It reminds me of a lager when done right. In our area, Roets Jordon Brewery makes a brut that captures all the right elements. Starting gravity is slightly low, 1.060 or so, but finishes below 1.00, the result is a 8% beer that tastes like a 5% beer. Very interesting.

I passed up on one today cause all the locals didn’t like it. I will give it a taste this week. That’s if I can get the thought of “eau de toilette” out of my head.

I think that was "eau de chat."

I passed up on one today cause all the locals didn’t like it. I will give it a taste this week. That’s if I can get the thought of “eau de toilette” out of my head.

At HomebrewCon in Portland last week, there were several brut IPAs available. I tried several. They were ok- highly carbonated and dry with hop character in the aroma. The flavor was ok, and the mouthfeel was dry and spritzy.

I noticed that in Hood River (where I am now), there is not a brut IPA to be had and I don’t think many NE IPAs. pFriem had a golden IPA, a blonde IPA, a regular IPA and a DIPA on tap. I don’t remember what Double Mountain had, except definitely no NE IPA or brut IPA and Full Sail had the usual beers.

I don’t know if brut IPA will be a huge trend or not- I don’t really think so but I never can tell.

Back