Thoughts on a Brut IPA

First, thanks Brew Mentor for bringing this subject up.

I tried a Bruit IPA today. Not a big hopper, but light, dry, 7% ABV, 40 IBU, fizzy beer. This one had a slight Belgian taste. Not my cup of tea, but not that bad either.

I need to correct my statement above about the use of Alpha Amylase. After some research the enzyme used to further convert starch to glucose on this beer is amylogucosidase per below. It converts from 104 to 150df. It is closer to a beta enzyme than an alpha enzyme. Mostly I found it used during mash or in the BK in that temp range, with boiling denaturing the enzyme.

Interesting twist combining a Brut with IPA hopping.

https://murphyandson.co.uk/store/brewhouse-enzymes/462-amyloglucosidase-300-5-kg.html

Well I'm far more interested if people are using Belgian yeasts in these styles. Love a highly attentuated Belgian pale, hopped or not. If they were going to be neutral yeasts I was struggling to see the point. Either way I am definitely on the hunt for the first few commerical versions in Aus (luckily most of them seem to be in the home town) to make up my own mind.

I have yet to try 1, but I keep hearing about them.
I'm not opposed to brewing most types of beer and thought I may give it a go.
I'm not a fan of adding enzymes and think I can achieve close to the expected results without them.
With a simple grain bill, some flaked product and some sugar, I should create a highly fermentable wort. Also, with a very high attenuation from WLP644 I think I can exceed 90% attenuation.
That and high carbonation should get me close enough.
I'm thinking;
7- 2 row
1- Flaked Rice
1- Cane Sugar
1.057 OG
1.004 FG
7.01% ABV

Please comment and give hop suggestions.
Brian

Brian, the yeasts I found being used researching the web were US-05, Wyeast 1056 and Wyeast 3787 Trappist. The Wyeast types above will go to 11% ABV. I will ask the brewer at the pub what they used if I go in today.

I have yet to try 1, but I keep hearing about them.
I'm not opposed to brewing most types of beer and thought I may give it a go.
I'm not a fan of adding enzymes and think I can achieve close to the expected results without them.
With a simple grain bill, some flaked product and some sugar, I should create a highly fermentable wort. Also, with a very high attenuation from WLP644 I think I can exceed 90% attenuation.
That and high carbonation should get me close enough.
I'm thinking;
7- 2 row
1- Flaked Rice
1- Cane Sugar
1.057 OG
1.004 FG
7.01% ABV

Please comment and give hop suggestions.
Brian
I was thinking champagne yeast if you wanted it really dry - EC1118 wine yeast, two sachets (they come in 7-gram sachets for wine, a serious underpitch for beer). I'd ferment it very cool (65 degrees is cool for this yeast) to avoid off flavors, letting the temperature rise to wherever it wanted to go in the last third of fermentation. Also, there'd be no sweetness at all in there so plan your hops accordingly - they will seem more bitter than in normal beers. In fact, I'd likely forego any boil hops in this at all, everything at 15 mins or less to go. I don't think I'll be trying this - I like my beers to have good body to them - but by all means, let us know how it comes out!

Been wondering about those yeasts also. I use them on cider.
I haven't fermented a beer with them. I have a one-gallon "instant" beer recipe and a lot of EC-1118 due to the wife's winemaking hobby. EC-1118 is the yeast that comes with most wine kits. So I could throw an "instant beer" together and ferment it with EC-1118 to see what comes out.... Maybe after we get back from Texas later this month.

I would consider the EC1118 but only when approaching terminal gravity. I still want the mango and pineapple I'd get out of the wlp644. I'll also let this ramp during fermentation to drive some of the phenolics,
I started to add hops and am thinking El Dorado, Mosaic and Amarillo, all in the last 15.
I did ad a touch of Nugget at 60 to get me to 40 IBU's
Once I put it all together, I'll post a recipe.
Brian

That article from Omega says they prefer to use their Kveik yeast. That could make for an interesting beer!

Back