Mild Brown Ale recipe for feedback

Blackmuse

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I want to start by saying that my base malts are based on what I have in my inventory. I don't have the ability to obtain marris otter or other English base malts at the moment. So, I brew mostly German styles so I'm hoping a mix of Vienna and Munich will get me close.

I don't like dark malt flavors in my brown ales so I plan to sprinkle the chocolate malt on the grist during my sparge.

I want a nice biscuit/nutty session beer.

What do you think?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/602504/brown-ale-mild-

Thanks for any feedback!

Looks like it could be pretty tasty. As long as you don't plan on entering it in a competition, how much you like the finished product is all that counts IMNSH opinion.

Looks good but I'd be a little concerned about diastatic power in the Dark Munich. If you can research your specific malt you may find that your enzyme level is a little low to guarantee full conversion. Otherwise, it should be a good beer. If your Notty finishes clean, you may almost have an Altbier. :)

Looks good but I'd be a little concerned about diastatic power in the Dark Munich. If you can research your specific malt you may find that your enzyme level is a little low to guarantee full conversion. Otherwise, it should be a good beer. If your Notty finishes clean, you may almost have an Altbier. :)
I've been playing with the dark Munich for a while now. I love the stuff! Yes, I tend to come up short on conversion - more like 60-65%. Once I came up with86%! - I had done a double decoction and the mash schedule was very long - 8 hour brew day! Best brew day I've had yet though!

Anyway, I plan to do a basic infusion mash so I will most likely come up short. The recipe will.most likely come in on the low end. However, I am playing with the idea of letting the mash ride for 90+ minutes which may help. We'll see. I'm not too worried.

Thanks for the heads up though. If it fails I'll add pilsner next time as part of the mash.

Reactions: J A
Munich should have enough enzymes to convert itself, just not anything else like corn or rice. I think you will be fine. I like the idea of adding the chocolate malt late just for color too. You could also try steeping the chocolate malt in hot water by itself then adding that water to the kettle. Might pull less toasty flavor from it. Maybe steep in cold water? Should pull even less then, but might not pull enough color? Haven't seen anyone compare.

So, I also have German Bohemian Pilsner for a base... Should I replace either Munich or Vienna with that instead? I'd then end up with a ninety minute boil....

Just incase I didn't mention it before, I'm going for soft biscuit/nut notes and easy drinking...

Yeah, replace some of the Dark Munich with Pilsner but I'd keep the Vienna. Maybe something like equal parts of each. I think a good Pilsner with some dry graininess may enhance your toasty notes.I wouldn't worry too much about color and with your 90 minute boil, everything will go a shade darker anyway.

I think I'll give that try.

Thanks.

Back