Session IPA rough draft

I like brewing session beers, makes it possible to drink more! However, still newbie so I can't give much advice...but personally I would probably have some grain that add more body to the beer, like munich, and perhaps some flaked barley. I probably would mash at higher temp and/or use a less attenuating yeast. But that being said...your beer would probably be worth brewing as it is! :)

I'd say brew it and see if you like it. If not mix it up.

I could always throw a bit of MO in....I love me some Maris Otter

Personally I'd keep your grain bill quite simple: rule of thumb for me is either the grain bill or the hops can be complex, but not both. I'd go for around 90% Maris Otter (or Golden Promise) and 10% mix of crystal 40 and victory for biscuit flavour. Hop additions look good, although personally I'd ditch your 5 min addition, do a 60 min addition for clean bitterness and do your zero min addition as a hop stand (30 mins at 75C if you can) to get the best hop aroma. Good luck with the brew!

If you are looking for body mash higher like at 155-157 and get some Munich malt in the grain bill.

I figured the GP and MO would give me the bread, biscuit, and body that I needed, not that I am against Munich, it one of my favs.

I'm also in the camp of a simple grain bill, especially for and IPA.
I say brew it, take notes and have some fun!
Cheers,
Brian

Yep 3rd this. ive made a few low gravity hop beers lately. i like me some wheat in my light beers (all beers) for the body( makes that light beer feel bigger i recon) pluss head retention. Maybe oats is another one to up the mouthfeel to help give that full flavour perception and gives the hops support as well. My other one is gypsum i like it bitter and crisp i find 5g of gypsum to 2.5g chloride gives me a great water profile. But maybe a ballanced profile is safer incase it comes across to thin.

I mash low to medium to keep it well attenuated and i recon incresses guzzlability if thats a word:).

Good luck

Reactions: J A
Seems quite fine. I think all the malts you're using are similar enough to be interchangeable so I wouldn't bother mixing. I mix when I'm using part Pilsner for a dryer, grainier malt or when plain 2-row wants a little gussying up with a richer Pale Ale Malt like MO or GP or our local offering.
Especially for a first effort, I'd want to use one malt to see what it's like before mixing.
Brew on!

Jen Talley recently wrote a great book on the subject and was just interviewed by Drew Beechum on The Brew Files. She is one of the best authorities on the subject of brewing session beers. Rater than try to find fault in your recipes I strongly recommend you listen to her interview: https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files and even more strongly recommend that you read her book, Session Beers: Brewing for Flavor and Balance. available from Brewers Publications or Amazon.

That is a great book on sessions! She also did a podcast with Jamil Z. and Brad Smith (beersmith). All are great!

Jen Talley recently wrote a great book on the subject and was just interviewed by Drew Beechum on The Brew Files. She is one of the best authorities on the subject of brewing session beers. Rater than try to find fault in your recipes I strongly recommend you listen to her interview: https://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/brew-files and even more strongly recommend that you read her book, Session Beers: Brewing for Flavor and Balance. available from Brewers Publications or Amazon.

Great book about sessions. That is where I got the tip for Munich in sessions.

me either, gonna try it out,but I hear good things, more flavor than US 2 Row, more along the lines of MO,so I have been told.

Back