Hop Crop 2018

We ordered five Cascade, five Centennial, two Styrian Golding, and two Willamette. I can't even keep tomato plants alive that was the reason for the quantity. We put them in pots a couple of weeks ago with potting mix Miracle Gro or VIgaro. These plants are incredible, they have become out new "deck pets". I initially thought they would be good just to learn about the plants, but they are so much fun, we laugh every day at their growth. "Day of the Triffids" I color coded the pots, terra cotta are Cascade, light green are Centennial, black are Golding, dark green are Willamette.View attachment 3173 View attachment 3174 View attachment 3175 View attachment 3176 View attachment 3177

You're going to have a forest on your deck soon! Nice looking plants. Mine are hitting 12' or so now.

@J A I was at Thurman's Mansion over by the Salt Lick tonight for an event... Dog Days of summer are already here it seems like... Back in SA by 9:30 and it's 90° will hops tolerate this kind of heat?

Mine put on flowers in April. Not much of a crop, but they were growing well. They've slowed down in the heat and they'll have a pretty hard time of it by August. If they get some relief from direct sun, they'll pull through and come on when it cools just a bit in the fall. Rain helps. Gonna be a dry year.

@J A I was at Thurman's Mansion over by the Salt Lick tonight for an event... Dog Days of summer are already here it seems like... Back in SA by 9:30 and it's 90° will hops tolerate this kind of heat?
There are varieties that are native from desert areas being experimented with. Danged if I can remember where I read that article about them though.

There are varieties that are native from desert areas being experimented with. Danged if I can remember where I read that article about them though.
Those are the Neomexicanus varieties. They're from the Southwest, but they're mostly found in the mountains. I think their real advantage is less sensitivity to day length, or one that's adapted to the diurnal cycle of lower lattitudes. They might be a little more heat tolerant, too. It's on my list to start some of those hops here.

hopflower.jpg
my hops are flowering! about how long do they take to ripen?

sure will! are your's first year growth too? i read cascade does ok here in the deep south so that's what i started. what kind are you growing?

sure will! are your's first year growth too? i read cascade does ok here in the deep south so that's what i started. what kind are you growing?
We have five Cascade, five Centennial, two Willamette, two Styrian Golding. We call them our "Deck Pets". Centennial are doing best.
Styrian Hops June 14.jpg

how are the styrian's doing? just asking because i bought an oz for my next brew. i was looking at kit ingredients for ideas and i saw them included in a polish ale. i'm of polish descent.

how are the styrian's doing? just asking because i bought an oz for my next brew. i was looking at kit ingredients for ideas and i saw them included in a polish ale. i'm of polish descent.
One is better than the other, but both are taking off. The black pots are Styrian
Styrian Hops June 14.jpg

i picked one of my cones today just to see how mature it was. as i thought it's still green and will need more time. it had very little aroma but tasted quite bitter. i'm on the right track it seems. i've read on how to tell if they are ripe but i'm still a bit unsure as this is my first crop. it looks as tho i'll have several dozen in the end. i'm hoping there will be enough for a small brew.

my larger, first cones are beginning to ripen. they smell good now. i've learned a bit of patience from brewing, so i just have to wait.....next year will be much better!

Our weather has been so jacked up the past couple of months, my hops can't decide what to do. We finally got some much needed rain and a break from the heat and they are super happy right now and flowering like mad.
Again this year, a large portion of mine will go to a local brewery for a 'crowd source' brew in late summer.

Back