NB Fast Pitch Expiration

usabill

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellows brewers - first post here.
I have some old cans of Northern Brewers Fast Pitch. It's been in storage (70F). The canned date is Feb 11 2016. There is no expiration or use by date even though it is a pasteurized product.
Anyone else use it long after can date?

thx
Bill

It's just canned wort. Not fundamentally different from a can of LME. If it were a grist addition like LME, you might consider Maillard reaction and deterioration, but since it's just maltose for yeast to eat and then decant off, it should be fine. Maybe someone has more direct experience with it, but unless the can is puffed up, I don't see that anything could be wrong with it.

It's just canned wort. Not fundamentally different from a can of LME. If it were a grist addition like LME, you might consider Maillard reaction and deterioration, but since it's just maltose for yeast to eat and then decant off, it should be fine. Maybe someone has more direct experience with it, but unless the can is puffed up, I don't see that anything could be wrong with it.

Thanks for that. Well can't aren't puffy so that's a good sign. Didn't want to risk ruining a yeast pack or worse yet batch of ale.

Reactions: J A
I tend to agree with J A and also have no experience with the product. I'm sure someone Northern Brewer could tell you for sure.

Hello fellows brewers - first post here.
I have some old cans of Northern Brewers Fast Pitch. It's been in storage (70F). The canned date is Feb 11 2016. There is no expiration or use by date even though it is a pasteurized product.
Anyone else use it long after can date?

thx
Bill
It'll be darker than it would have been if used by it's "stale date." It may also have an inky flavor due to Maillard reactions that continue, even at room temperature, to darken and change the flavor of the extract. It will also be usable, you'll just end up making an unreproduceable beer.

He could reproduce it. Just age the yeast again! “Now made with aged yeast”

I routinely use beer kits (canned and hopped LME) that are a couple of years past expiration to make starters. As far as I can tell, as long as I am decanting off the majority of the spent liquid there is no effect on the finished beer.

you'll just end up making an unreproduceable beer.
Assuming he'll decant the starter, the Fast Pitch won't even end up in his beer...just the yeast from the bottom of the flask.

NB typically has really good customer support. I'd hit them up as Bob mentioned.

Back