Foam at the top of the fermentation barrel

THIRSTYinDESERT

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am new to this business. I live in a dry country which prohibits sale or manufacture beverages

I decided to make my own alcohol in the simplest way: water sugar and yeast
I sterilized the tools and the fermentation barrel and airlock. I bboiled the water with the sugar and after cooling the mixture I added yeast
After 6 hours I found at the top of the fermentation barrel big bubbles (foam) as in the picture;
Is this normal??
Is it safe to drink?
IMG_4909.jpg

Quite normal. You’ll want to wait until the foam (krausen) settles. I’m guessing you have no hydrometer, so wait a day or two after airlock activity stops. It should be done or near done then. Will you bottle it, or bottoms up?

Quite normal. You’ll want to wait until the foam (krausen) settles. I’m guessing you have no hydrometer, so wait a day or two after airlock activity stops. It should be done or near done then. Will you bottle it, or bottoms up?
THANK A LOT
big releviw
THANKS jeffpn:)
huge relief

thats called kerosene and the yeast are eating sugar and going up for air creating foam in the process and thats good, that means their happy and ready to eat more sugar and create more alcohol, the only bad thing I can see is its not going to taste real good with just sugar but it will create alcohol

look up distilling :) thats what you might wanna do with this onw boil off the alcohol and use it to make something a bit harder than beer. i know nothing about spirits but.

other than that man you probably wont like it as is meaning it may not have alot of flavour.

good luck post on tasting please;).

Legally, it's Wine, although I doubt you'll be drinking it with your pinky sticking out.
Someone mentioned distilling, which is illegal and may need to be removed.

Just sugar, water and yeast will make alcohol, but the type of sugar matters in terms of flavor and quality. Well, you could add it to some juice or something, I suppose, but it won't be much good. Get yourself a beer kit or just make some cider...even something like "prison wine" made with raisins, etc would probably make something you could actually drink. With not much more effort than you're put in already, you can boil water, pour in canned malt extract, ferment and bottle and have very passable beer to enjoy or obtain some high-quality grape concentrate to make some very nice wine.
I admire your determination, though! :)

Legally, it's Wine, although I doubt you'll be drinking it with your pinky sticking out.
Someone mentioned distilling, which is illegal and may need to be removed.
To be fair, an Australian mentioned distilling, which I think is legal there. I asked someone else about their method to make rum in another thread the other day (I believe they're Canadian?)
The OP said he was in a dry "country", assuming that's not a typo, his whole operation is illegal, distilling or not

Krauesen. Autocorrect is a bitch sometimes.
I don’t normally correct spelling errors. The OP asked if it was safe to drink and OMB called it kerosene. I see that as a problem. Kerosene certainly wouldn’t be safe to drink. It’s not kerosene, it’s krausen, as I stated in my original reply. Incidentally, the OP never asked about distilling or whether it would taste good.

I was going to make the same comment cause it made me o_O?

But yeah, that foam is normal and nothing to worry about. It's probably not going to taste great but it will have alcohol in it.

It's "Illegal" in Alberta but I know cops that do it so YMMV.

it seems like the only option. its what i see the distilling guys do here in Aus they get "turbo yeast" and big packs of dex id imagine some yeaat nutrient and let her rip. then distill.

We have Turbo Yeast here too, the LHBS sells it along side "Rum" yeast. So you know.. super illegal.

I know a guy I bought some camlocks off of west of the city that had easily 150 gallons of molasses rum aging in big ass Blichmann kettles. It was disgusting, and I want it.

Oh god the shine my friends make is... an experience.

The OP said he was in a dry "country", assuming that's not a typo, his whole operation is illegal, distilling or not
Right...dry country...THIRSTY in DESERT...One wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the Clerics if that's a possibility for our OP. :eek:

Back