What to brew??? :-O

Holrits

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello Brewers !

I am looking for some inspiration for a brew, the last few brews have been way too "dark" and "hard" to drink.
I look for a beerstyle/recipe that is light and easy to drink, a real summer beer.

I dont want a beer that is too hoppy, i actually enjoy beer with a sweetness, but maybe difficult with a light beer.

So my question is to you guys, can you recommend either a beer style or a recipe for such kind of beer?
I have been looking at the beer style "oktoberfest/mätzen" but i have never brewed this, what do you think?

Regards Nicolai :)

oh FYI im REALLY not a fan of IPA and Wheat beers :p

Cant see it, i get current error:

Permission Error

Our apologies... it appears you may have attempted to access data that belongs to another user and is protected or was deleted.

Some recipes are marked private by their owner. This is the system default for security reasons. You may need to contact the brewer and get them to share the recipe first.

that just depends on your water and yeast, I have filtered water and it starts very soft so you might want to cut the bittering down a bit

I make a SMASH cream ale with pilsner malt and mandarina bavaria hops that's almost too easy to drink on a warm sunny day. Just under 5% and about 15 IBUs.

A simple lager is great for the summer, about 80/20 two row and flaked rice, about 20 or so IBU, your pick of yeast

Holrits, do you have the equipment to brew a lager?

If not, a simple, clean American wheat is a very nice summer beer.

I make a SMASH cream ale with pilsner malt and mandarina bavaria hops that's almost too easy to drink on a warm sunny day. Just under 5% and about 15 IBUs.
mmmmmm, now that sounds awesome (especially now we are in the 70s and I am trying to bike as much as possible, and therefore very thirsty :rolleyes:)
...and because MB has been my main aroma hop for about 3 years now. Makes a great, fairly fruity, IPA in combination with Comet!

If not, a simple, clean American wheat is a very nice summer beer.
Barring the fact that the OP "REALLY" doesn't like wheat beers. ;)
That being said, he didn't say what kind of wheat... I personally consider german, belgian and american wheats in general 3 entirely different beasts.

a pilsner or helleS is another option both light easy drinkers.

Barring the fact that the OP "REALLY" doesn't like wheat beers. ;)
That being said, he didn't say what kind of wheat... I personally consider german, belgian and american wheats in general 3 entirely different beasts.
Ooops. And I'm shamelessly stealing the Mandarina Bavaria idea - in exchange, think lemongrass and basil.... And I completely agree with your reasoning on the three different species of wheat beer.

Hmm...This sounds pretty damn tasty.

What yeast you using?

Just sub 2 row or pils in a wheat beer. Easy drinker for sure.

A simple Cream Ale might do the trick as well. No lagering, and no wheat. Came to mind as I just brewed one last weekend and at 4% ABV it will be an easy drinker. 1 oz of Cluster hops in a 5 gallon batch

Cream Ale, Lager, Blonde...they're all pretty much the same when it comes down to it:
-8 lbs of Pilsner or 2-row, 2 lbs flaked corn
-mash at 148 for 60-90 minutes and sparge well
-boil for 60-90 minutes with any noble hop at 60 minutes for 10 IBUs and at 15 minutes for 5 IBUs
-ferment on the cool side - 60 or so with just about any lager or clean ale yeast, raising temp after the first 4-days for 2-3 weeks total
- keg or bottle and let sit for 3-4 weeks to a couple of months.

Back