Wheat Beer

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
looking at sinking my taste buds into a nice cloudy wheat beer. ive.brewed one quite awhile back but it was not spectacular i mucked around with it adding ginger and honey to it late.
ive listened to a podcaste by John Palmer on all things wheat bier and below is what i garnered on his directions. let us know what use do when it comes to your wheats im all ears:)?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/636963/awesome-recipe

I really like lemongrass and ginger in wheat beers....

if you're doing a German wheat beer, closer to hefeweizen, I'd consider going super soft with the water target.

if you're doing a German wheat beer, closer to hefeweizen, I'd consider going super soft with the water target.
thats why i went light and malty but if i just go straight filtered tap water its below whatch think leave it as is was just thinking calcium too low. but i like the idea.
Screenshot_20180413-053240.png

It's a fairly subtle flavor. I used 20 grams of the dried lemongrass and got pretty good flavor.

It's a fairly subtle flavor. I used 20 grams of the dried lemongrass and got pretty good flavor.
i used to have a big clump of it growing out the back of my old house.

but i do have some limes on my tree out back here what about some lime zest and cracked coriander?

You could add a bit of calcium sulfate and be ok with calcium and sulfate levels. Won't take a lot Just enough for yeast health. 70 or so calcium.

You could add a bit of calcium sulfate and be ok with calcium and sulfate levels. Won't take a lot Just enough for yeast health. 70 or so calcium.
well yes and that getting back into the light and malty territory lol. im brewing a pils this weekend with just gypsum added will see how that turns out. cheers

thats why i went light and malty but if i just go straight filtered tap water its below whatch think leave it as is was just thinking calcium too low. but i like the idea.
View attachment 2835

yeah that profile is closer to what I was referring to. I agree with you, you need calcium for more than 1 reason, but I've also heard from people that the lack of calcium in the mash isn't an issue with German beers, especially beers that benefit from a softer profile like light lagers and light hefeweizens.

i used to have a big clump of it growing out the back of my old house.

but i do have some limes on my tree out back here what about some lime zest and cracked coriander?
That sounds pretty yummy, too!

I am halfway through drinking a batch of wheat beer that is similar to yours , in grist bill. I used wy 3056 and mittlefruh hops, turned out nice for my tasted buds. Hint of caramel smooth malty sweet aftertaste. This

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/592388/caraweizen
nice mate nice i bet that vienna adds some nice flavours coupled with the decoction should be a lovely brew. yes i was thinking of decoction but them rests are sort for frulic and protiene so thought ill jist direct infusion. maybe i could decoct to mash out with out any trouble. i would go mittlefruh too but ive got tradition so it tis what it tis. thanks for tge feed back.

yeah that profile is closer to what I was referring to. I agree with you, you need calcium for more than 1 reason, but I've also heard from people that the lack of calcium in the mash isn't an issue with German beers, especially beers that benefit from a softer profile like light lagers and light hefeweizens.
well i like to throw caution to the wind sometimes so here we go ill brew my pilsn tomorrow with a teaspoon of gypsum only no chloride and see where it gets me.
if i were really brave id brew with water as is and just adjust ph with lactic...
if only it not a comp brew:rolleyes: .
whatdya think why not eho_O?

nice mate nice i bet that vienna adds some nice flavours coupled with the decoction should be a lovely brew. yes i was thinking of decoction but them rests are sort for frulic and protiene so thought ill jist direct infusion. maybe i could decoct to mash out with out any trouble. i would go mittlefruh too but ive got tradition so it tis what it tis. thanks for tge feed back.

I made my recipe the first time using BIAB, I did a step infusion very close to yours and turned out nice. I put a bit more carahell in mine(up to 15%) than most people, but I love the flavors i get from it, and the vienna seems to create a head that last to the bottom of the glass. I only make weizens so I figured was time to start doing decoctions. It isn't as much trouble as I thought it would be, and my wife loves the smell, she calls it fresh bread scent, so no problem cooking in cellar in winter.

yep i dont use the lime for anything else just gotta nail a great beer with it and itll serve its purpose better;)
Whatever water you decide, whatever yeast or ferment temp you use, be sure to keg it as soon as possible. Get the fresh yeast/malt flavors. Use the shake method to carb up and DON'T cold crash before kegging. By making it yourself is the only way you can get a beer like that unless your in Germany. Several brewers over there store carbed kegs upside down and wont sell to taphouses unless they rotate beer rather quickly.

well i like to throw caution to the wind sometimes so here we go ill brew my pilsn tomorrow with a teaspoon of gypsum only no chloride and see where it gets me.
if i were really brave id brew with water as is and just adjust ph with lactic...
if only it not a comp brew:rolleyes: .
whatdya think why not eho_O?
I'd use calcium chloride instead but it should work.

I love my wheats but still struggle with the style. I'm about to give up on the wlp300 and go back to wyeast. I just pick up more pineapple, pear, and orange type flavors than I care for. Not a bad yeast, but I think I prefer wyeast.
My piece of advice is shake your keg if you like the yummy, cloudy hefe (which I do). I've made the mistake of pulling off all the yeast before, and while the beer was still decent, it just wasn't the same. Giving it a good slosh or two at the beginning of a drinking shift works for me!

I love my wheats but still struggle with the style. I'm about to give up on the wlp300 and go back to wyeast. I just pick up more pineapple, pear, and orange type flavors than I care for. Not a bad yeast, but I think I prefer wyeast.
My piece of advice is shake your keg if you like the yummy, cloudy hefe (which I do). I've made the mistake of pulling off all the yeast before, and while the beer was still decent, it just wasn't the same. Giving it a good slosh or two at the beginning of a drinking shift works for me!
makes sense its a yeast beer like drinking out the bottle you stir up the yeast.

im going to be using Mangrove Jacks M20 bavarian wheat yeast im not sure what liquid comparrison it tis but will give it a whirl soon.

good Idea Nosseybear i suppose wheat beer is a malt forward style so better to favour the calcium chloride.

and i might double up on the carrahell as well as per madarius has mentioned.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/636963/autumn-wheatbier

Back