Wheat Beer

Whatever water you decide, whatever yeast or ferment temp you use, be sure to keg it as soon as possible. Get the fresh yeast/malt flavors. Use the shake method to carb up and DON'T cold crash before kegging. By making it yourself is the only way you can get a beer like that unless your in Germany. Several brewers over there store carbed kegs upside down and wont sell to taphouses unless they rotate beer rather quickly.
i suppose no whirlfock neither in kettle too then keep everything suspended like drinking a fermented malty weizen soup:p! i down with this.

i suppose no whirlfock neither in kettle too then keep everything suspended like drinking a fermented malty weizen soup:p! i down with this.

Yup that's the way I like to do it anyway. I was looking for those German breweries that are so picky about how fresh their beer is served but couldn't find them. I liked the fact that they "required" the kegs to be stacked upside down so the yeast would somewhat re-suspend and be a big part of the beer and had to sell quickly.

yes very tecky eh ive had one of their wheat biers by Erdinger was a good drop.
see some of their keg pressures! 20+psi.
lines need leaning one a week if not fortnight. a strict regime but it wouldn't be german if not.

I like to see how the pro's do it and then apply it to what I can replicate here at home so to me getting the full flavor of the malt, hops, yeast was the part I listened to. The freshness of home brew can't be beat by the big boys so just keep that in mind with brewing wheat beer. Sometimes I keg in 7 days with a hefe if the yeasties (sorry Jeff) tell me they are full. The bigger breweries did the science for us we just need to apply it to what we know about how to brew.

They don't just make wheat beer, they make theBEST weissbier IMO, although I never drank one from a keg. Erdinger is the only reason I drink/make beer. I never liked or drank beer until someone gave me an Erdinger in nuremberg way back when.

Sometimes I keg in 7 days with a hefe if the yeasties (sorry Jeff) tell me they are full. The bigger breweries did the science for us we just need to apply it to what we know about how to brew.

After much research on "GermanBrewingnet" among others where i read, for bottle conditioning, beer should be bottled early for best results. I started bottling my weizens on day 5-6 , right before reaching FG and then bottle condition for 6-8 days at warm temp then cool for a few days before imbibing. Best part about this is getting my brew from kettle to belly in less than 3 weeks.

I do like an Erdinger. It's a bit darker than most Weizens you see, something a lot like the Dampfbier I have in the fridge fermenting right now. Any time you use Weizen yeast there's no reason to wait for it to settle so I see the point: As soon as primary fermentation is done, package it. I'll let mine ferment out before packaging and add back sugar. Sure it's a crime against the Reinheitsgebot but hey, it's my beer!

They don't just make wheat beer, they make theBEST weissbier IMO, although I never drank one from a keg. Erdinger is the only reason I drink/make beer. I never liked or drank beer until someone gave me an Erdinger in nuremberg way

After much research on "GermanBrewingnet" among others where i read, for bottle conditioning, beer should be bottled early for best results. I started bottling my weizens on day 5-6 , right before reaching FG and then bottle condition for 6-8 days at warm temp then cool for a few days before imbibing. Best part about this is getting my brew from kettle to belly in less than 3 weeks.

With kegging and force carbing can be drinking fresh beer in 10-14 days.

Last edited:
With kegging and force carbing can be drinking fresh beer in 10-14 days.

I am an amatuer drinker so I only drink bout 6-8 beers a week depending on hockey schedule so kegging would be an unnecessary expense for me . Seems like a few hundred $$ just to get started.
I understand those who drink a few gallons a week getting keg systems but for my small appetite bottling works just fine. Also never (in my time in germany) had a good weizen from a keg. I love the creamy yeast from bottom of bottle in me beers.

I am an amatuer drinker so I only drink bout 6-8 beers a week depending on hockey schedule so kegging would be an unnecessary expense for me . Seems like a few hundred $$ just to get started.
I understand those who drink a few gallons a week getting keg systems but for my small appetite bottling works just fine. Also never (in my time in germany) had a good weizen from a keg. I love the creamy yeast from bottom of bottle in me beers.
Part of my rationale for not kegging. Too much cost for too little return. And the bottled beer has a longer shelf life.

Back