My First Original Recipe

not sure why the 2 oz of magnum but if you like it bitter it will be lol
Well, you are exactly correct. I wanted to try the bitter side and I definitely found it. More than I needed, for sure. If I try a second batch, my thought was 1 oz of Magnum and none in the dry hop. There is a distinct coffee and bitter chocolate taste so I am thinking of cutting the carapils and chocolate in half, from half to a quarter pound each.

My second original is more to the hop side and I am cautiously optimistic about this Smokin Tiger.

Thanks for your reply as well, Cheers!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/621667/smokin-tiger

Recon_Heavy_Attack_Squadron_1_(USN)_patch.PNG

Yes IBU at 196 seems a bit high :) but if it's drinkable it's good!

I wouldn't take it as gospel - I don't like excessively bitter beers. But 196 IBUs? That's a bit above the norm....

I agree, 196 IBUs seems excessive. You can get a nice clean bitter from 80-90 IBUs.

Also, for future reference, using Magnum as a dry hop is a complete waste. Magnum is known for it's clean bittering and provides no flavor/aroma components which is what you're looking for from late addition/dry hops.

Keep sharing your recipes. Looking forward to seeing how your recipes progress.

yep grist looks not to shabby. i personally wouldnt boil as long and bitter for as long but youll find the sweet spot. remember the later the hop addition the more aroma and flavour youll get from it. :)

"Not horrified" is a pretty low bar, but at least you've got something that's drinkable. :)
If you like it, great. If you don't, there are plenty of things in the recipe that would point to an out of balance, out of style beer.
First, the OG is low for a DIPA and, yes the hops are off the chart. Very bitter for a beer of 1.061 OG would be anything over 100. For IBUs as high as you have, I'd be looking for 1.100 or higher to even come close to providing the malt and body needed to offset that sort of bitterness. The Chocolate seems out of place and the high percentage of Acidulated is puzzling. That roasty flavor might be at home in a different style beer, but even in a Black IPA it's probably lending a bit too much burnt roast character to the malt. I suppose that the acidulated might offset the raised PH of a lot of roast, but even in beers with much more dark malt, it's unusual to see anything more than an ounce or two for mash PH adjustment.
Just looking at the recipe, I imagine an incredibly bitter, tart, burnt flavor. You might enjoy it more as a Russian Imperial Stout where you could keep the chocolate, increase the base malt to raise the OG into the1.080 range or better, add some oats and get the bitterness into a friendlier range.
For an IPA, I'd lose the chocolate completely, raise the OG substantially with base malt, adjust the acid malt to lose any tartness and lower the IBUs. Your hop schedule looks sort of awesome with the exception of the monstrous bittering charge. I completely disagree that Magnum isn't useful as a flavor and aroma hop. It can lend a wonderful noble dank quality with orange/citrus/floral/spice notes when used as a late hop and dry hopping. One of my all-time favorite IPAs uses just Columbus and Magnum, all in late boil and whirlpool. I'd leave your hops pretty much the same but move most of the Magnum into the late hops and use just enough at 60 to get your overall IBUs into the 100 to 120 range.
Good luck! ;)

The responses have been great so far. I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer their ideas. I conceived the recipe before I was aware of the recipe building tools on this website. My research was pretty much limited to just staring at the BSG Hop chart while my grain was being milled at my local supplier. I have been able to replicate existing products from other's directions successfully. So your opinions and guidance will be put good use. Thanks.

looks good personally id move them mid boil hops to 20 min and leave you magnum do the bulk of the bittering for you. next time through try some whirlpool/hopstand hops for flavouring aroma at 80c half hour coupled with your 5 day dry hop after primary fermentation. or scrap whirlpool and dry hope at high krausen and then add second after primary is almost finnishing.

just two hoppy options but as is im sure youll be cheering

If you brew that beer you'll find it an altogether different experience from the first iteration. It's still a little out of style, but if the roast flavor pleases you, brew on. If you brew and want to tweak further, you might want to try replacing the chocolate with something like Special Roast B or some other toasted Crystal malt and maybe sub part of the base malt with some Munich for malty sweetness and color. If the hops seem a little harsh or lingering, look at the Chinook...that one will add quite a bite in the piney, resinous flavor range when used early in the boil and can be a little much. You can push it later in the boil and still get the piney flavor without so much punch that can detract from the malty finish.
Have fun with it.

I'm curious about the chocolate malt in the beer? Is this to add bitterness to it? If you're looking for color I would swap the chocolate with a crystal 40L or even 20L. Like J A mentioned, the chocolate malt is very out of place in this type of beer but if you like it, then keep brewing it.

I also think you should reconsider putting Magnum in with the dry hops. When you dry hop, you extract no bitterness. Only flavor and aroma are extracted from the hops during the dry hop which Magnum, in my opinion, has no flavor and aroma. You can keep it in, maybe your pallet detects something different, but in my opinion it's a waste of a few bucks.

Check out https://ychhops.com/varieties

That website is by no means a bible, but it gives you a good indication what each hop is best utilized as a bittering or aroma hop.

Here's the link for Magnum: https://ychhops.com/varieties/magnum

I would probably only use Magnum for bittering and Centennial/Cascade for everything else. I like to keep it simple. I would also remove chocolate unless you are using it for a specific reason.

Back