New to dry hopping

Michael_biab

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I haven't dry hopped in a long long time, so essentially I'm considering myself new to it. Yesterday, I dry hopped my barleywine. It had been sitting in the secondary for about a month or so. It's now showing some action (bubbling near the surface, see picture attached) although I don't see much movement in their airlock. Is this normal for those of you who are more familiar with dry hopping? Should I proceed to allow the hops to be in contact with the beer for another 5 days as called for in the recipe? Any other advice? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180325_204002_snagit.jpg
    20180325_204002_snagit.jpg
    926.5 KB · Views: 148
It looks fine to me. You're going to have a ton of fun getting that hop sock out of the carboy though.

It looks fine to me. You're going to have a ton of fun getting that hop sock out of the carboy though.
I rack the beer, then pull the sock out. It's still the challenge but if the sock burst, I don't contaminate the beer.

Its just a bit of co2 coming out of solution. Nothing to worry about.
Absolutely. This is pretty common to see what looks like fermentation starting up. The vast majority of my pale ale and IPA's do this and I just ignore it. The beer hit it's target gravity, so the beer is de-gassing because of nucleation. The small hop bits create a sharp point for the CO2 to form. This is especially true if the beer is cool (55-60F).

Everything said above is on point, so no need to worry. Brew on!

Thanks everyone! Glad to know it's all ok. Now, if I could just stop over/undershooting my target gravity. This started out as an American IPA (1.068) but will end up closer to 1.080 or something approaching a Barley Wine. Oops!

You're in good... well my company anyway in your tendency to overshoot.

Back