How Long in Primary

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
New to the forum.
My first brew is close to 2 weeks from being bottled. Brewed my second batch this past Sunday, air lock has stopped bubbling. There is a thick trub base, and thick krauzen on top. Should I check FG, or leave it until next week? It is a moderate IPA, I did an all grain BIAB.
Thanks,
Craig

New to the forum.
My first brew is close to 2 weeks from being bottled. Brewed my second batch this past Sunday, air lock has stopped bubbling. There is a thick trub base, and thick krauzen on top. Should I check FG, or leave it until next week? It is a moderate IPA, I did an all grain BIAB.
Thanks,
Craig
Sometimes a gentle shake will drop the Krausen. 4 days isn’t likely enough time to reach FG. Definitely pull a gravity sample. Once you get the same gravity reading (assuming your in the near range if FG) for 3 days in a row, you’ve likely reached FG.

Last edited:
Sometimes a gentle shake will drop the Krausen. 4 days isn’t likely enough time to reach FG. But if the fermentation has been pretty busy (as evidenced by the thick Krausen), definitely pull a gravity sample. While your at it, take a taste as well. Once you get the same gravity reading (assuming your in the near range if FG) for 3 days in a row, you’ve likely reached FG.

Thank you for the quick response Mase!
OG target was 1.048
Actual OG was 1.050
Target FG is 1.010
Just checked, it is currently 1.020
Should I give it a bit of a swirl, or even a shake, or just let it be and check gravity again in a couple of days?
Craig

BTW, tasted the gravity sample, hot damn it's pretty damn good, hoppier than I expected.

Thank you for the quick response Mase!
OG target was 1.048
Actual OG was 1.050
Target FG is 1.010
Just checked, it is currently 1.020
Should I give it a bit of a swirl, or even a shake, or just let it be and check gravity again in a couple of days?
Craig
If your temperatures for fermenting are in range (I don’t know what yeast you are using), I’d let it be for a couple more days and check gravity again. Tasting is a form of quality control! ;)

Yeast as Safale US-05, temp is approximately 69F. I will check the gravity again on Saturday, perform the QC check, and go from there.
Thank you again,
Craig

The less you have to do to it, the better. At this point in the fermentation, you don't want to introduce oxygen and shaking could do just that. As long as your temps are good, just leave it be.

Okay, thanks, I will wait and check the gravity on Tuesday or Wednesday, that would be 9/10 days.

Leaving it for 10 days isn't going to hurt it a bit.

fwiw, i usually leave it for about 2 weeks, and never take a sample. that's usually due to the "real world" and "responsibilities" getting in the way though

fwiw, i usually leave it for about 2 weeks, and never take a sample. that's usually due to the "real world" and "responsibilities" getting in the way though
I have a BrewBucket with a sample port.... I ain’t got the will power to leave it alone. The refractometer is sitting right next to the BrewBucket, so I blame sampling on needing a gravity reading

I'm about the same as jm. I make the beer and then forget about it for a while.

Well, nice to hear from y'all!
Oddly, i just had a peek at the brew and there is more air lock activity, this makes me happy, that FG will get down where it belongs, appreciate all of the comments and suggestions, cheers mates!

Just a follow up, 3 days later and there is still some airlock activity. I am thinking that I will bottle is this Saturday, that would be 13 days since I pitched. Plan to check the gravity on Wednesday, assuming that it will be at target FG, and that it will still be there Saturday. What did I learn? Patience! Of note, I brewed a stout yesterday, it is our playing away famously tonight

Just a follow up, 3 days later and there is still some airlock activity. I am thinking that I will bottle is this Saturday, that would be 13 days since I pitched. Plan to check the gravity on Wednesday, assuming that it will be at target FG, and that it will still be there Saturday. What did I learn? Patience! Of note, I brewed a stout yesterday, it is our playing away famously tonight
If you have the patience, a longer wait is better.

Should I leave it even longer than 2 weeks to bottle? If it will improve flavor, I will definitely wait the extra week.

I generally wait longer because of having time to bottle. Most beer lore says that longer is better. Two weeks is a good starting point for an ale but if you can do this without introducing too much oxygen or contaminants, siphon off a gallon or so and let it set a couple weeks longer. If you can tell the difference in the two samples, the one you packaged at two weeks and the one you packaged at four (once the one packaged at four weeks is carbonated, of course), then it's worth the extra time. If you can't tell a difference - and do get someone to set up a blind tasting for you so you don't bring a preconception or two into the taste testing, it makes a difference - then don't worry about the extra two weeks, you'll know for sure.

Makes sense, thank you for the help, much appreciated.
Craig

Back