How Long in Primary

Good for you. I signed up a year ago and am really enjoying being able to share my brewing exploits on here, using the tools and getting some great advice into the bargain.
I think my brewing has also taken a steeper improvement curve too.

Update
I bottled this on Friday, so it was in primary for 19 days. FG was at target. It was in the morning so the taste of the sample wasn't very appealing at the time. Now more waiting for conditioning.

Update
I bottled this on Friday, so it was in primary for 19 days. FG was at target. It was in the morning so the taste of the sample wasn't very appealing at the time. Now more waiting for conditioning.
I usually transfer my gravity sample to a glass and put it in the fridge for later. It cools, clears a bit and I can give it more of my undivided later.;)
When I leave mine in primary for 3 weeks, it seems that its ready in about a week of bottle conditioning...that is, it has bubbles and tastes pretty good.:)

That is some crazy a$$ advice, put it in the fridge! Nutty! Why is it that we often overlook the simplest things...
Thanks Green Man

BTW...

I just signed up as a premium member, looking forward to all of the perks and benefits that go with it!

Welcome. I do 2 weeks minimum in primary every time. No grav readings, no tasting. Not worth the risk of contamination. Only time I open is to dry hop. I never secondary. Unless it's a high FG BEER (1.015 OR HIGHER) it's 3 weeks in bottles for flavors to calm and to carb. Bank on 5 weeks min.

Ok, so I had some buddies over tonight and they were asking about this brew, so i opened one small bottle and we sampled it. Huh! It got a good review, even after just 5 days it was very well carbonated, and it held onto the head as well. Tastes kinda green though, needs at least one more week to mature, if not two.

After 5 days it’s already well carbed? You might want to consider storing it in a spray proof area.

Oh my, thanks
Is it okay to move it to the garage?
I'm in southern Ontario, temps are pretty low right now, suppose to be 24F overnight tonight, but I could put a heater on to keep the temp around 50F...

If you are concerned about bottle bombs, cold storing them will slow the carbing process, decreasing the chance of tiny multiple eruptions.

The good news is that each bottle will only erupt a maximum of one time! :D

One per bottle, phewf, that's a relief

All kidding aside, if I move them somewhere cool, or even refrigerate them to back off the carbonation, will the flavor continue to mature?

All kidding aside, if I move them somewhere cool, or even refrigerate them to back off the carbonation, will the flavor continue to mature?
Fwiw, I wouldn't straight up refrigerate them, but keeping them colder will slow down the yeast and help to get the co2 into solution
I made a batch of Barleywine last June (the only type of beer I've had a few gushers and bombs with way back when) and just kept them in a cooler in the basement for a few months just in case

Moved it to the basement bathroom, 56F in there.

That makes for a cold shower!!

Okay, so after 2 weeks, this brew (The Grad Student), tastes fairly decent. Not great, but no bottle bombs as I was worried about.
It has a healthy head, and maintains it well. Has a slight sour off taste, but very drinkable. I made this batch with softened water, not knowing any better, and I did struggle getting down to mash temp. I am going to brew this recipe again with RO water, and get some PH strips and whatever it is that I need to adjust the PH as needed. I will save a few from this batch for direct comparison when the next batch is ready. BTW, got some new equipment from the family for my birthday, including John Palmer's book How to Brew, you know, just a little lite reading...
Cheers!

Sour is usually an infection from what I understand. Otherwise, just work on getting your process down. (It's part of what we call The Process!)

Back