Delicious Wort stuck in kettle!?

JohnAdam

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers.

I am finishing up a batch right now, and like my previous all grain attempts, I cant seem to get all the wort out of my kettle and into my fermenter. a. because my screen gets plugged and b. there is tons and tons of sediment in the bottom of my kettle
more: chung cư số 17 phạm hùng
I used a worfloc at 15mins, I have a bazooka screen in my kettle, I even put all 4oz of hops into different cheese cloth bags, I vorlauf off 1 gallon before filling the kettle. It seems like I am disturbing the sediment or something, because the bottom 2.5 inches of the kettle are mixed. So instead of 5.5 gallons getting into the fermenter I am getting only 4 or 4.5!!!
more: chung cư iris garden
How do you folks get the wort out of the kettle?

Did the brew shop mill my grain to fine? Is batch sparging the cause? poor boil?

Any advice or thoughts would be much appreciated. I am new so this is probably a simple fix!
more: chung cư golden park

Last edited:
There’s a few of us here that dump everything into the fermenter, including me. When transferring between the boil kettle and the fermenter, we do use a nylon mesh filter bag (see attached photo). We have two filter bags that we cycle through during the transfer as there’s a lot of debris and the filter bags get clogged up. Using this approach, we collect all the available wort from the boil kettle.

Attachments

• FC6CD69D-C9A4-4560-B130-EA6282D84652.jpeg
    FC6CD69D-C9A4-4560-B130-EA6282D84652.jpeg
    539.2 KB · Views: 155
Reactions: J A
I use hop bags for most hops and transfer everything in the kettle after the boil. the gunk is protein residue from the grain. It won't hurt a thing and will act, to some extent, as yeast nutrient. Protein break residue in the kettle is loose and takes up a lot of liquid space so keeping it out means leaving a lotof wort, but when the yeast floculates and drops to the bottom after fermentation, it packs the residue down under the trub and allows more clean beer to be siphoned off.

I use hop bags for most hops and transfer everything in the kettle after the boil. the gunk is protein residue from the grain. It won't hurt a thing and will act, to some extent, as yeast nutrient. Protein break residue in the kettle is loose and takes up a lot of liquid space so keeping it out means leaving a lotof wort, but when the yeast floculates and drops to the bottom after fermentation, it packs the residue down under the trub and allows more clean beer to be siphoned off.
That's pretty much my approach. I use a stainless steel hop screen instead of bags but the principle is the same: If you can keep the hop gunk out of the beer, it'll be fine.

I did away with the bazooka screen and went with this: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/diptube_whirlpool.htm
If your outlet port has FPT in the inside they also have an adapter that locates the pickup at or very near the side of the BK.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/hexnippremium.htm

I get a little more trub into the fermenter, but not losing as much wort. It also was a good fix for a clogged bazooka screen when whirlpooling/recirculating.

I do this as well but I'm also getting made a 2 inch tall stainless screen that will trap the hops inside from the whirlpool
So this is my false bottom upside down and I’m going to have made the stand only without the divider and it will sit permanently on the bottom of my boil kettle, that opening will fit around my electric element and the pickup valve will be on the outside

WP_20180315_09_57_32_Pro.jpg

hopscreen.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else getting lost in the TLAs?

I'm just making wild assumptions on what they mean.

I'm ex Air Force - we communicated in TLAs. I also work for a Boeing subsidiary - ditto.

I'm not sure your vorlauf method but one thing that help keep my bed settled was placing a piece of perforated foil over the top of my grain bed and pour over that. It allows the liquid to pass more evenly without mixing up the grain bed. I don't get all fancy with it either. I just take a length of foil about the size of the inside of my cooler and riddle it with holes. It really helps keeping the grist out of my kettle, but everything gets dumped into the fermentor.

I'm not sure your vorlauf method but one thing that help keep my bed settled was placing a piece of perforated foil over the top of my grain bed and pour over that. It allows the liquid to pass more evenly without mixing up the grain bed. I don't get all fancy with it either. I just take a length of foil about the size of the inside of my cooler and riddle it with holes. It really helps keeping the grist out of my kettle, but everything gets dumped into the fermentor.
My wife holds a spaghetti strainer/colander with a piece of foil at the bottom while I vorlauf and she swirls the strainer around to ‘rain’ the wort over the grain bed. Very little if any grist in the boil kettle.

oh and BK is boil kettle, when you start building brew set ups you see allot of 2 and 3 letter acronyms for the hardware, common are npt threads and the list goes on

i dump everything into fermentor and let it sort itself out. once fermentation is done then i start to try as much as i can to keep the solids out of my beer.

Back