My Beer is Ruined!

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
OK, this is just for fun!

List "Bad" things you've done and still made great Beer.

1) I fermented right in my brew pot with only the lid loosely sitting on top.
2) I forgot to aerate.

Carry on,
Brian

I have the messiest brew area and most hillbilly brewing set up you can imagine.
And I do almost nothing to "prepare" for brew day. I work out a recipe in advance but when I'm ready to brew I start heating water and figure everything out on the fly while I'm milling grain and cleaning something major that I forgot to clean last time I brewed. :)

PS...this thread should be titled "Brew Confessions" :D:D:D:D

Mixed up a gallon batch of Star-San in a gallon plastic jug. Unfortunately, the label was never removed and we’ll... let’s just say the coffee from the Keurig the next morning was a bit foamy. :p But at least the coffee maker was sanitized! :D

I very rarely use a refractometer, let alone a hydrometer.
I usually don't aereate beyond a vigorous pour and sloshing around as I carry the fermenter.

Phew...feels good to get that off my chest:D

Don't own a refractometer and just take a preboil, wait 2 weeks and take a fg while racking into keg.

Wow, nice to know I can hold with most of you on being a s "some-what-less-than-anal-brewer" :D
I do measure once before and once after fermentation with a hydrometer, but by now, that is more to double check my attenuation, 'cause my thermometer is less than reliable...
I do splash, I do pitch dry yeast often without hydrating, and I don't chill my wort. :eek:
The best so far though is having small children help while brewing and/or bottling...
"Oh, um, you just sneezed into the bottling bucket full of wort"
"AH! NO! don't pull out the water trap....too late"
"Get your fingers out of there"
"Please don't eat directly over that bucket"
"Do not touch that, or we will end up with a big sticky mess"
...or just a couple days ago while helping line up bottles to fill
"No, stop, do not put the sterilized bottle in your mouth!"

You must be in my local homebrew club.
There are two kinds of brewers: Those who have proven themselves to be knuckleheads and overconfident ones. My most boneheaded move so far has been using frozen strawberries in a beer after having heard they were sanitary. They weren't. Opening bottles wearing safety glasses and welding gloves is no fun.

Right now, as the newbie I am, I'm too concered doing things by the book to have any confessions to make. Mistakes and mishaps yes; on my last brew, when going to pour my wort into the sanitized fermentor...and find one of my cats sitting in it :eek: looking all innocent of course :rolleyes:

Back