My Beer is Ruined!

“Hair of the cat”... :p

Infractions keep adding up:
Sanitation; measurement; forget salts; oops fermenters all full now what; was that a fly that just dive-bombed into my fermenter...

But two that are just bound to happen: run out of gas; forget to put a bucket under the grain mill :eek:

“Hair of the cat”... :p

Infractions keep adding up:
Sanitation; measurement; forget salts; oops fermenters all full now what; was that a fly that just dive-bombed into my fermenter...

But two that are just bound to happen: run out of gas; forget to put a bucket under the grain mill :eek:
Murphy's Law of Brewing: You will run out of propane exactly half-way through the boil. The spare tank is always empty.

I usually don't aereate beyond a vigorous pour and sloshing around as I carry the fermenter.

amen! aggressive funnel pour through a filter bag and a rocky shuffle down the stairs is more than enough.

No final gravity readings until i rack to my bottling bucket (pre-priming sugar). Vorlauf and lauter usually only takes 5 mins. 30 mins to an hour my butt. :)

Do you wash or just collect the slurry directly from the fermenter, store, and pitch? Asking for a lazy friend...

I just leave a little beer in the fermentor. Swirl it up and pour in into a sanitized jar. Then before I pitch I pour off most of the beer in the jar and then swirl everything up in the jar and pitch.

Keep in mind though I only brew 3 gallon batches.

I just leave a little beer in the fermentor. Swirl it up and pour in into a sanitized jar. Then before I pitch I pour off most of the beer in the jar and then swirl everything up in the jar and pitch.

that's what i like to hear...for my friend. i'm in the process of a bunch of smaller brew sessions (bottling 3.5 gallons usually) to build up my supply and experiment with whacky recipes and processes and i don't want to go through the process of washing. nor do i want to spend $6-10 per batch on new yeast. bottling a french toast oatmeal stout this weekend and want to save my Darkness yeast for my Moose Drool brown ale clone. Thanks!

Why would you pour the beer off?
That's alcohol abuse!

I've dropped a dish towel into my boiling wort.
I ran to the basement to get the bung for my carboy only to come back up to see my boxers head buried in the funnel atop the carboy.
I have a corgi that sheds like mad. I wouldn't be surprised if anything I've ever brewed had at least one dog hair lol.

I've left the valves open on the kettle
I've let my dog lick the grain mill clean
I've ran out of the proper grain halfway through milling ( Pilsner and 2 row are close enough right?)
I've ran out of propane though I always have a full spare
I've dropped my mash stick in the boil a couple times
My dog may or may not have drank wort from my preboil a few times (I have suspicions)
My recurring derp is having my blow off jar fill from the carboy and pour all over my brew bench. Dog cleanup to the rescue though.

Once I'm done boiling I'm pretty careful, but we all make a hash out of something at some point.

I lager when it's called for.
I use gelatin when I need to.
I treat water with acids and salts appropriate to the style.
I temperature control my fermentations to +/- 0.3°C.
I oxygenate with pure O2 and an airstone.
I track fermentation with my refractometer and have written a conversion spreadsheet to make it easier.
I have committed crimes against the Reinheitsgebot.
I've left valves open accidentally.
I've siphoned to the basement floor.
I've scorched LME on the bottom of my kettle.
I discovered by accident that Reflectix burns.
I've drain poured beers.
I've had bottle bombs.
And I've brewed quite a bit of good beer. It's all part of it!

Back