Boiling

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am doing 3 gallon whole grain batches on a 17k BTU kitchen gas burner. I boil 4+ gallons at a time, and the wort will boil, but not vigorously enough to ever cause a boil over. I'm wondering if I'm even getting a good hot break.

Could this be remedied by boiling for another 30 mins or so, or should I start thinking of getting an outside propane burner ?

If you are looking for us to give you the excuse to get a propane burner. Then by all means... YES! You need one! :D

That being said, as long as it is boiling, it can't get any hotter than that. ;) Based on what I read from one of the forum posters here (Can't remember who, and I do apologize for that), your finished beer may be a little hazy. Here's the article from the poster: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-60w_IvRv3BRDdidmV5M0JhcDg/view

I am doing 3 gallon whole grain batches on a 17k BTU kitchen gas burner. I boil 4+ gallons at a time, and the wort will boil, but not vigorously enough to ever cause a boil over. I'm wondering if I'm even getting a good hot break.

Could this be remedied by boiling for another 30 mins or so, or should I start thinking of getting an outside propane burner ?
If your beer is clarifying, RDWHAHB.

A gently rolling boil should be sufficient, but I prefer a little more action. I use a lot of Pilsner and I'm concerned about DMS so I hit it pretty hard and go for 90. There's no doubt about the corny aroma when it first hits a boil so I know there's something going on. It settles into a nice malty/caramel/cereal aroma after 15-20 minutes.
If you're not using a lot of Pilsner malt or not experiencing DMS flavor in your beer when you do, it's fine. You could always add 30 minutes boil time and see if there's any improvement.
But, yeah...you need a propane burner. :cool::D

Definitely sounds like you need a propane burner. Look for one that has an easy conversion over to natural gas as well in case you get a gas line installed.

Back