Crystal 90 Substitute

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe calling for Crystal 90, it is 9% of the grain bill (only tree grains, 2-row-90%, Crystal 90-9% and chocolate-1%)
I cant get Crystal 90 very easy, can I use a mix of Crystal 60 and Crystal 120 (maybe a 70-30 split)

Yeah. That's what I'd do. Just set up the recipe with the proper amount of 90 and sub 60 and 120 in a ratio that'll get you back to the same color. 50/50 should work.

Yeah. That's what I'd do. Just set up the recipe with the proper amount of 90 and sub 60 and 120 in a ratio that'll get you back to the same color. 50/50 should work.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this theory when it comes to the grain flavor. Each crystal malt has it's own distinct flavor. Would mixing 2 others really give you the same flavor? Same color possibly yes, flavor, no.

You get burnt sugar, raisin and prune with 120.
With 60 there is sweetness, toasted bread and full caramel flavor.
Then 90 is dark caramel and hints of raisin.
It would still make beer but slightly different from original recipe.

Reactions: J A
I’d use crystal 60 and settle for a lighter colored beer.

I’d use crystal 60 and settle for a lighter colored beer.
Agreed. C120 can be harsh. Use it in small quantities for "complexity" if you like burnt sugar or the skin of an aggressively toasted marshmallow. Come to think of it, 90 can be harsh, too.

I would have to respectfully disagree with this theory when it comes to the grain flavor. Each crystal malt has it's own distinct flavor. Would mixing 2 others really give you the same flavor? Same color possibly yes, flavor, no.

You get burnt sugar, raisin and prune with 120.
With 60 there is sweetness, toasted bread and full caramel flavor.
Then 90 is dark caramel and hints of raisin.
It would still make beer but slightly different from original recipe.
I don't disagree with that at all and, yes the 120 will have a substantially different flavor from the 90. If it's mitigated by the sweetness of the 60, you might get a nice compromise. By definition, it's different from the original, but might be a reasonable way to get around the problem of subbing.

Back