Aerating wort in Corny Keg

plank

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered in here already, just couldn't find a thread...

I'm looking for a good way to aerate wort once it's in my Corny Keg (used as primary fermenter). Currently I run the cooled wort from my kettle, through a short tube into a double-mesh strainer, and into the keg. Then I shake the crap out of it for a good while.
Is this effective enough, or do you guys have a nice way of getting this done? I also have one of those little aquarium pumps with a carb stone at the end of it. It failed me the first time I tried to use it (it hummed like it was running but didn't push any bubbles into the wort). I'm sure I could clean it up and get it going again though.

Thanks much for the advice.

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered in here already, just couldn't find a thread...

I'm looking for a good way to aerate wort once it's in my Corny Keg (used as primary fermenter). Currently I run the cooled wort from my kettle, through a short tube into a double-mesh strainer, and into the keg. Then I shake the crap out of it for a good while.
Is this effective enough, or do you guys have a nice way of getting this done? I also have one of those little aquarium pumps with a carb stone at the end of it. It failed me the first time I tried to use it (it hummed like it was running but didn't push any bubbles into the wort). I'm sure I could clean it up and get it going again though.

Shaking the crap out of it should work well. For my beers, I ferment in a glass carboy. I have a long wand which attaches to a small O2 cylinder, with a stone at the end. I turn it on and oxygenate it for about a minute. I used to have the aquarium-type pump with a carb stone, but it only worked once. I gave up on it and invested in a proper wand with stone.

I don't mess around with oxygenation personally. It always seems to ferment out fine. but I don't use kegs, I use fermonsters. I have a buddy trying keg fermenting though, I'll ask him what he does.

I seal my corny up and shake it like crazy for a few minutes.

I've been using an airation or is it called a cinterd stone for the last five or so brews with pretty good results I poke it down the air lock hole and leave it running for as long as I feel then take it out replace air lock and let her rock.

Here is what I do to keep the stone clear
1 boil it for 10 mins after each use ( not straight after but before next brew day but nut just before).
2 wrap it in alfoil and leave it till brew day.
3 once wort is on the chill down and at or around 20c I run the stone just in the air for a bit then poke it into my jug of sanitiser ( just an inch or two at bottom or it foams up out the top:)) this is good for checking if the stones good to go as you'll see air bubbles racing out the stone and foaming up the sanitiser). Don't put the stone in the sanitizer before turning the pump on I find the water some how blocks it. Let it run for awhile to clear it out.
4 wack her down through the air lock hole ( I seal around the tubing with alfoil because I'm anal about contamination). You should see a nice fluffy krausen like layer atop of the aireated wort after half hour or so.

Well hope iVe helped. I'm looking into getting some 02 bottle but for now this seems to be doing better than the shake rattle and role method.

Please comment if you see any flaws in my process too :).

Carb stones work very well. Does your aquarium pump have an adjusting screw on it? Sometimes just a quick adjustment helps. Don't forget a filter though. Remember you are just pumping air into the wort.

Yeah good call head first mine has one of them heppa filters inline.

Hehe I think I’m just gonna plunge in and buy a full kit with a rod and grab a tank from the hardware store two houses down from me. These things get in my head and I won’t stop thinking about it until I just finally make the purchase! Damn homebrewing!

Hehe I think I’m just gonna plunge in and buy a full kit with a rod and grab a tank from the hardware store two houses down from me. These things get in my head and I won’t stop thinking about it until I just finally make the purchase! Damn homebrewing!
Happens ALL the time! LOL

Good call! O2 is what the yeasties need. They will thank you for it. I use a heppa filter on a nebulizer pump(also filtered). Blows the sissy flower pattern right off the stone! Will eventually get an O2 tank though. That is what the yeasties want,O2.

Good call! O2 is what the yeasties need. They will thank you for it. I use a heppa filter on a nebulizer pump(also filtered). Blows the sissy flower pattern right off the stone! Will eventually get an O2 tank though. That is what the yeasties want,O2.
Yep I was browsing the local hard wear store yesterday checking out 02 bottle prices 56 bucks for one of them small cyclinders.

Yep I wish that was the price here in Aus I can probably import it for less than I can buy it here. I'll have to shop around but I'm happy with my aquarium pump for the time being. I'd rather spend my money on malt and hops:).
At least that's a great warning. I plan to vacation in Australia during March, and will not try to purchase too much. I hear beer is incredibly expensive there as well, although wine is quite inexpensive.

At least that's a great warning. I plan to vacation in Australia during March, and will not try to purchase too much. I hear beer is incredibly expensive there as well, although wine is quite inexpensive.
Yep hit the nail on the head i can get 4 lt of wine for 15 bucks youll be lucky to get a six pack of beer for that!

It's funny, I've got a wine aerator in my garage, I thought I'd redo it somehow, but it's stupid. Your variant seems cheap to me for $16, so I'll order it. Thank you!

When my air stone thingie (looks like stainless) plugged up I just poked a bunch on holes in the plastic tubing with a hot paperclip. works fine with an aquarium pump.

Will eventually get an O2 tank though. That is what the yeasties want,O2.
Air pumps work fine for low gravity ales. The maximum amount of dissolved oxygen level possible with atmosphere is @7-8 ppm. Lagers and high gravity ales require 12-15 ppm. With pure oxygen it's possible to hit 30+ ppm. The other advantage of pure oxygen is that it only requires 1 minute to hit 12 ppm and 2 minutes will give you closer to 16-18 ppm and no hepa filter. The disadvantage is cost.

One thing about aerating wort is yeast type. Dry yeast requires less dissolved oxygen, some say it doesn't need to be aerated at all and I have had beer that was not aerated at pitch and it was fine. Liquid yeast is a different story and doesn't have any lipid reserves, so it needs oxygen. Yeast supplies recommend 8-12 ppm for ales and 12-15 ppm for lagers.

I did use the Oxygen from my welding torch once...

I did use the Oxygen from my welding torch once...
I buy my O2 from a welding shop. They told me the only difference between that and medical grade is the tank they put it in.

Back