How do you clean your beer glasses people!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ok ill admit my beer glasses dont get the same sort of respect that my fermentor gets :eek:!

After washing down some beer i just wack the glass up on the bench to get washed in with the rest of the dishers:oops:. I try and get first dibs with me glasses in the dishwater.
But i notice i get a cloud of bubbles down low in the glass that cling to the edge on first few pours and im reconing this is from me poor glass washing practice. Head retention is alright but i know i need to clean up me act in the beer glass department.

So what do youse do, whats you beer glass cleaning routine?

Thankyou for in advance for uou comments.:)

Least of my problems is glasses...hell if they don't have yesterday's beer in 'em, I figure I'm ahead of the game. :D
They go in the dishwasher for the most part, but I often give them a rinse with filtered water before I pour, depending on the beer.

Least of my problems is glasses...hell if they don't have yesterday's beer in 'em, I figure I'm ahead of the game. :D
They go in the dishwasher for the most part, but I often give them a rinse with filtered water before I pour, depending on the beer.
Yeah i treat them much the same. Its funny how pedantic i can be cleaning and rinsing my fermentor but when it comes to the drinking vessal its almost the complete oposite!

Ironically I watched one of Brad Smith’s quick tips on his YouTube channel yesterday and he said that lipids (fats) are in detergents (dish soap and dishwashing detergent) and that lipids have a negative effect on head retention.

I usually just rinse em out with hot water(very hot for tank going to brewery) as soon as i finish the beer and put them in the freezer compartment of lager frig after a drip dry. Ya I know, but if you rinse it with cold water before pouring it's just a chilled glass. Beer pours better into a wet glass.

I don’t know how they get washed. I just give them to my wife and they get cleaned! Sometimes, I’ll put them down in the freezer for her so she doesn’t have to. You know, if I’m going downstairs anyway.

Last edited:
I'm actually kinda anal about my beer glasses, treatment and cleaning. Mine never see the inside of a dishwasher. I clean all by hand with lukewarm borderline cold water and the smallest drop of dish soap. Rinsed very well and allowed to dry upside down. Seeing bubbles stuck to the side of my glass is kind of like finding a hair in my food. I've actually been known to go get a different glass and give the culprit extra attention. I've got glasses 20-25 yrs old that have seen a lot of beer!

I had not paid much attention in the past. I just run them through the dishwasher like any other glass. I recently had what I thought was an issue with head retention so I did some research. I now put them through the dishwasher but then thoroughly rinse by hand and drip dry.

I had not paid much attention in the past. I just run them through the dishwasher like any other glass. I recently had what I thought was an issue with head retention so I did some research. I now put them through the dishwasher but then thoroughly rinse by hand and drip dry.
Be sure that the rinse aid is empty or covered up.

Be sure that the rinse aid is empty or covered up.

It generally is not because we're just washing all of the normal dishes. My thought was the extra hand rinse should be taking care of that.... hopefully. Results have been good as far as I can tell.

Much ado about nothing. :) If the tiniest bit of leftover dishwasher stuff is killing your head, something else isn't right.
That being said, I don't like the faintest scent on washed dishes. Even though we use "unscented" DW soap or more herbal "natural" dish soap, sometimes there's just a hint of something that shouldn't be there. That's why I rinse. I do the same with my cup for morning coffee or a plate or bowl in most cases.

SWAMBO washes mine - I'd have to ask....

Normal dishwashing in the dishwasher or by hand, a solid rinse in hot water, I rinse them with cold water before pouring.

I have fallen prey to the "no dish soap" approach. I have been using pbw for fear soap will kill foam. Today, though, I quickly washed a glass with regular dish washing liquid in a pinch and poured. I didn't see any adverse effects. Great foam stability and lacing. I woudln't say I'm converted, but it most definitely didn't kill the head on the beer.

I have fallen prey to the "no dish soap" approach. I have been using pbw for fear soap will kill foam. Today, though, I quickly washed a glass with regular dish washing liquid in a pinch and poured. I didn't see any adverse effects. Great foam stability and lacing. I woudln't say I'm converted, but it most definitely didn't kill the head on the beer.
I have a feeling that a lot of what's "known" out there is simply beer lore. Soapy glassware is definitely not a good idea, nor is glassware contaminated by dishwasher rinse aids but reasonably used and thoroughly rinsed, there's no soap there and the glass definitely doesn't remember it once had soap on it.

It seems the conseses is a good rinse in either hot or warm water after washing.

And you recon a cold rinse before drinking.

Well i do pour a glass full of cold water drink this then pour my beer in so maybe there is something to this.

My wife rinses every dish she washes. That’s not a practice limited to beer glasses. Soap suds on dinner plates makes steaks too sudsy for my taste!

For the record, I don’t rinse glasses before use. That’s a waste of water, in my opinion. But I’m sure I’m wasteful in other ways in other people’s opinions, so I’d call it a draw.

My wife rinses every dish she washes. That’s not a practice limited to beer glasses. Soap suds on dinner plates makes steaks too sudsy for my taste!

For the record, I don’t rinse glasses before use. That’s a waste of water, in my opinion. But I’m sure I’m wasteful in other ways in other people’s opinions, so I’d call it a draw.
Hey i dont waste it i drink it!:D

Back