vienna malt

jimmyz

Trial Member
Reaction score
Recently I picked up 2 bags of GWM vienna malt by mistake via mail order. Ive done a couple recipes so far the first was 100% vienna and 2 since that i split 50% 2 row and 50% Vienna with my normal ipa recipes that ive done in the past. Any suggestions for some recipes or a way i may be missing to use it? First batch which was the 100% Vienna is in the keg an conditioning now.

Try some SMaSH beers with different hop varieties.

1/2 Vienna 1/2 Munich 1/2 two row or pils you've got yourself a Marzen/ fest type beer.

Vienna is great in pales!
I always thought Vienna would be a great sub for Marris Otter/golden promise in an IPA/PA. It’s a great base malt, you could use it in all kinds of beer.

Reactions: J A
Vienna is great in Kolsch.

Vienna won my brew club's side by side taste test of base malts last year. It's rich, malty, sweet, and stands on its own. It can be a bit much if you're trying to feature a different ingredient and isn't right for all styles. I like to use 2 parts Pils to 1 part Vienna as the base for most continental styles. I found they balance each other smoothly.

Vienna won my brew club's side by side taste test of base malts last year. It's rich, malty, sweet, and stands on its own. It can be a bit much if you're trying to feature a different ingredient and isn't right for all styles. I like to use 2 parts Pils to 1 part Vienna as the base for most continental styles. I found they balance each other smoothly.
Similar results from my Helles Projekt - Vienna by itself made a very nice beer, one I'd make again as my "house" light lager!.

I can't get anything beyond base malts in bags bigger than 1kg here so it's hard to use much of it.

I'm going to try converting some pale to Vienna here once I get screens made up

Apparently to make Vienna, you need to roast the malt at about 100 C for 2 or 3 hours.

Rehydrating to about 10% and kilning gradually higher, 150-215°F

Back