vienna malt

Rehydrating to about 10% and kilning gradually higher, 150-215°F
Are you planning to stir it every once in a while, or is that not necessary? Over how long a span of time do you plan to raise the temperature and/or let it sit at your maximum range?

Are you planning to stir it every once in a while, or is that not necessary? Over how long a span of time do you plan to raise the temperature and/or let it sit at your maximum range?
I'll let it sit on screens in the oven. Kilning time should be around 6 hours. I'll try an hour each at 150, 170, 185, 200, and 2 hours at 215. I haven't tried it before but it's consistent with traditional records.
It helps that I know what the current moisture content of the malt is. Otherwise it could get too wet from rehydration and take longer to dry.

Check out roastyourown.com thats where i got my info from what i had a crack at it.

I'll let it sit on screens in the oven. Kilning time should be around 6 hours. I'll try an hour each at 150, 170, 185, 200, and 2 hours at 215. I haven't tried it before but it's consistent with traditional records.
For anyone who cares, I wanted to follow up and say this works. Clear difference in color and malty aroma/taste. Darker than expected, I might dial back the kiln time from 6h to 4 or 5. No screen needed, I used baking sheets.
pils-pale-vienna.jpg
Pale malt in the middle, same malt modified to Vienna on the right. Pils on the left for comparison. Vienna is cloudy mostly because the malt dried out from 5.1% moisture to 1.4% and the mill pulverized it. This malt is also undermodified, and re-kilning releases a little more protein.

Impressive.

Looks the good KC i remember making a delisious lager out of home roasted malts.

Back