lets talk about body

dfj

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I brewed this beer. It seems to be lacking some body that I expected it to have. Its not the hops and its not the ABV.
Its good but i expected a bit more body based on the grains used. I also expected a bit more caramel to make up for the light nature.

Is it the yeast? BRY-97

I ask because my next pale ale i was planning to use SafAle s-05 but I'm concerned it will ferment from 1.055 to 1.009 and have less body
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/584780/the-calm-before-the-storm-pale-ale

yes that yeast does thin the beer out and take away some flavor, its very close to a lager yeast

any dry quality yeast you recommend I have safale -04 but a British style

I would think that for the beer you are brewing, US-05 would be the better choice if you wanting to stay with American yeast strains. However, I have brewed similar beers and used S-04 with great results, ferment in the mid 60s and you can get nice mouthfeel with subdued English yeast character. I also find that BRY-97 is likely to thin the body a bit.

Although a liquid, Denny's fav 50 sounds like a really good fit for what you're looking for. I love the fuller bodied creaminess it offers. Especially in pa's.
Otherwise, I use s-05 often for pa's. Bump up your mash temps for more body.

Body's a tough one, lots of factors.... pH affects perceived body, as does mineral content, as do dextrines.... At Homebrew Night Ii taste a lot of thin bodied beers!

WLP051 and or WLP060 will be less attenuative than the regular Cali ale strain.
Look them up and see what you prefer.
I wouldn't use an English strain in an APA.
Also, as stated earlier, bump your mash temp up to 154° and don't go over 60 minutes.
1 last thing, is it fully carbonated? If not, that can also leave the beer feeling a bit watery.
Brian

I liked the look of that first brew better. Try some carpils for body mash higher or get less attenuative yeast.

I would try to tweak the recipe a bit and the mash temp.

If you want to mash low, then you need some unfermentables in your grain bill and a more flavourful base malt. I would go with all Vienna or all Maris Otter. Then, I would add some Crystal ( 30 or 60L - the sweet/biscuitty kind ), maybe up to 10%, depending where your own taste threshold is. I do not see any flaked adjuncts in your grain bill, which leads to be believe it will benefit you. Flaked Oats and Flaked Rye will do wonders. ( 5-15% )

You can also mash higher at 154-155F and cut the Crystal malt to about 5% and the flaked adjuncts to also 5%, which will inevitably leave more body in the beer.

SafAle US-05 ia s fine yeast, but attenuates too much sometimes. I would use an english yeast in your next brew, which usually attenuate less and leave a better/bigger body in the final beer.

Wrong recipe got linked
this was the beer that seemed a bit thing. 5 weeks old in bottle. 5 oz corn sugar - measured on scale used BRY-97
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/557842/perky-blonde-ale

ok my opinions were based on 4 wks age in bottle on dec 24, 2017. I try one yesterday 2 weeks later and the body and thinness are gone. it has the malt flavor and body i was looking for its just so much better. I guess this 4.7% ale just needed 6 weeks aging to reach it full potential

I would try to tweak the recipe a bit and the mash temp.

If you want to mash low, then you need some unfermentables in your grain bill and a more flavourful base malt. I would go with all Vienna or all Maris Otter. Then, I would add some Crystal ( 30 or 60L - the sweet/biscuitty kind ), maybe up to 10%, depending where your own taste threshold is. I do not see any flaked adjuncts in your grain bill, which leads to be believe it will benefit you. Flaked Oats and Flaked Rye will do wonders. ( 5-15% )

You can also mash higher at 154-155F and cut the Crystal malt to about 5% and the flaked adjuncts to also 5%, which will inevitably leave more body in the beer.

SafAle US-05 ia s fine yeast, but attenuates too much sometimes. I would use an english yeast in your next brew, which usually attenuate less and leave a better/bigger body in the final beer.
Love the OATS

Back