Conversion Efficiency calculation

Merkur

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have used the Brewers Friend Brewhouse efficiency calculator on my latest batch and it is reporting the efficiency as 79.7 on my Pecan Porter. The PPG is 28.3. The instructions below the calculator state that the calculator can compute Conversion efficiency, Pre-Boil efficiency, Ending kettle efficiency as well as Brewhouse efficiency but I can't see a way of doing that.

How would I calculate the conversion efficiency?

Paul

I think the type of efficiency calculated depends on the choice selected in "Brew Method" as well as whether "Kettle" or "Fermenter" is chosen. As you select each of these, the description beside "Efficiency" changes to reflect those choices. However, I do not see "Conversion Efficiency" reported under any of those choices.

The documentation says that you have to "create a brew session" to see conversion efficiency, pre-boil efficiency, ending kettle efficiency, and brew house efficiency.

Last edited:
I think the type of efficiency calculated depends on the choice selected in "Brew Method" as well as whether "Kettle" or "Fermenter" is chosen. As you select each of these, the description beside "Efficiency" changes to reflect those choices. However, I do not see "Conversion Efficiency" reported under any of those choices.

Those options do not appear to be available when I open the online calculator. Is this a feature for premium members or am I just missing it?

Paul

Those options do not appear to be available when I open the online calculator. Is this a feature for premium members or am I just missing it?

Paul
For example, just change the "Target" from "Kettle" to "Fermenter" and you will see the Efficiency change from "Ending Kettle" to "Brew House" Efficiency. Change "Brew Method" to "Extract" and you will see "Steeping Grains Only" Efficiency. Similarly for other values. I'm not a premium member, and those options are available.

This is what I see for the online Brewhouse efficiency calculator. Are you seeing something different?
upload_2018-1-5_14-52-39.png

Ah, you are using the separate tool. I was referring to the "Complete Beer Recipe Builder". The separate tools are sometimes not as complete as the calculation tools in the Recipe Builder.

To get the four efficiency calculations, just enter the relevant specific gravity and water volume amounts. The descriptions of each type of efficiency tells you which values to enter to get those different types of efficiency.

Last edited:
Use the recipe calculator and you get everything on one page. Also if you click "Brew It" you open a brew session that let's you log pertinent volumes and gravity readings and automatically calculates efficiencies based on your equipment profile.

OK thanks. I have not used the recipe builder tool. I will give it a try.

Paul

OK thanks. I have not used the recipe builder tool. I will give it a try.

Paul
It's where everything is centrally located for your brewing convenience. :)

Back