Membership price

Monster Brews

Trial Member
Reaction score
So what's up with the sudden 66% increase of the (annual) membership price? First you make impossible to pay by anything other than credit card (not a standard method of payment in every country!), then you change the annual payment option into a subscription you have to cancel (unless one buys a gift membership for yourself) and now the yearly subscription fee has risen from $15 (I think) to $25!!

Sorry, but that's it for me. I like the simplicity and the options of Brewer's Friend, and especially the fact that it's web based, but $25 a year is just too much. Luckily I still have 7 months of premium to go, so I have time to find replacement brewing software.

Last edited:
I noticed as well. I guess $25 isn't really all that much for a year, but I would have to agree. An almost $10 price hike in one swoop is pretty drastic imo. Bf does have a lot to offer that I really like. Cloud based being the biggest perk for me, but yeah, kinda steep. I actually use other software that's free, to figure out a lot of brewing aspects that just seem really clunky and not real user friendly in BF.

Last edited:
I have no prob with the cost here. Cloud based recipe storage, water calcs and other good stuff gives me the value(s) I need. but I have no argument with others who feel differently.

Tis what it tis i suppose Ozarks yooper txbrew and whoever else is on the pay cut have to compete in these ever tightening economic times o_O. I just look at the company i work for every year were upping prices because our suppliers are upping their prices and so on. It sux and i aint no bill gates. Hopefully thatll be it for a few years....

Yeah, it is what it is. And I'll most likely pay as I do like the software for the most part. I can understand the need to up the price tag a bit, but $10 price jump is pretty substantial. Especially with no mention of such an increase, unless I missed it. I've gone through all my email folders and haven't seen anything. I would think there would be at least mention of it to members. The software is good but, it has some downfalls as most do, but it's nothing special. Just my opinion of course, and I choose it over all others just for the simple fact that it is cloud based and I have access to it from any computer or device at anytime. That to me is Bf's only real selling point.
In the long run, the new $25 price tag is what it is. I participate and enjoy this forum much more than a couple of the other biggies, just because it's so much more personal and laid back. There is some good advice, everyone is decent for the most part, and not every member here is a brew master who thinks every word he/she states is gospel. Basically, for the same price you can join other forums and be berated and beat down constantly.
I like and will continue to support Brewers Friend. I do however wish there was mention of the substantial price hike and maybe a bit of info on what is in store for future development. Not only for the recipe editor, but the forum as well.

As the old saying goes... "Price is what you pay, and value is what you get". As long as the value is there, the price is fine. And for me, the value is definitely there (or here).

I've been brewing for just over a year now, and until I came across this site, the forums and the calculators, I was somewhat frustrated and confused about several aspects of "home brewing". But with the friendly and knowledgeable folks here at this site, I've have learned so much, I can't see spending (or wasting) time or money in any other site.

As mentioned by Soccerdad, I certainly don't have any argument for those who feel differently.

Last edited:
I’m a casual geocacher as well. Their annual membership is right around $25/year, too.

We felt the price is where it should have been for quite awhile so instead of doing price increases every year or something, just get to where we thought it was reasonable, affordable and gave us the opportunities to grow the product, without having to change prices for many years. We also felt the quantities of features that everyone will see early next year will offset any issues. We brought on another developer and he's been awesome! We’re putting the finishing touches on percent-based fermentables. The final set of changes are ready on that and should be doing a final round of review/testing in the next few days. Then the custom brew steps will be next up after that.

We felt the price is where it should have been for quite awhile so instead of doing price increases every year or something, just get to where we thought it was reasonable, affordable and gave us the opportunities to grow the product, without having to change prices for many years. We also felt the quantities of features that everyone will see early next year will offset any issues. We brought on another developer and he's been awesome! We’re putting the finishing touches on percent-based fermentables. The final set of changes are ready on that and should be doing a final round of review/testing in the next few days. Then the custom brew steps will be next up after that.

Hey man. I really appreciate you taking the time for an explanation. Thanks for a better understanding of the increase and reasoning involved. You make very valid points about several price increases and just taking care of it all at once.
Happy New Year!

Just thinking that maybe these changes/improvements should have been implemented prior to such an increase so that people could then judge on the value of the increase. You would possibly not have the questions/concerns if members see the reason and value behind the increase.
\\\\\bit like saying the cart is before the horse.
This comment does not reflect any feeling I may have re the increase just a marketing thought.

Those new features will be there for those who join, and half of the annual members will have six months or less left on their current membership when the features are released. BF could have quietly raised the rates a couple bucks per year, and nobody would’ve questioned it. But they didn’t raise their rates. Think of the development that’s been done in that time, and they charged nothing extra for it.

Those new features will be there for those who join, and half of the annual members will have six months or less left on their current membership when the features are released. BF could have quietly raised the rates a couple bucks per year, and nobody would’ve questioned it. But they didn’t raise their rates. Think of the development that’s been done in that time, and they charged nothing extra for it.

Agree. For those of us who've been here the past several years, we've already seen some pretty significant changes not only to the recipe editor, but to the forum as well.
I'm actually very pleased with just about all the progression thus far. The only advice I may offer up to the staff is maybe a bit of communication on what's up. Not a biggie, and I know staff is not a very glorious position. No pay and lots of hrs volunteered and I know some also dedicate many hours elsewhere. Just a thought.

I’ve never seen staff anywhere say what’s up. They’re always quiet about what’s in the pipeline. I’d be the same way in their position. Why make a promise that something is coming, only to realize that the idea just isn’t feasible? Why release a timetable, only to find out that you can’t make a promised deadline? Customers are not patient. From my experience, BF already releases details on upcoming features more than any other company I’ve followed.

Haha, good point.
I'm sure some have enough fires to put out already without starting new ones!

here's my opinion "not fact, I’m just guessing", the original owner of this site was the developer so no outside help was needed and he was in control of the forum and blog and set the price, now developers have to be hired and their not cheap and since there are very little adds compared to other sites or paid vendors like on HBT and the membership price hadn't changed, in order to pay for the server and developers which are needed to continue to expand this already great software a change was needed to make a dollar, not to mention I’m a member of 3 paid brewing forums who all charge $25 per year so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to match that price

I didn't pay for a long time, didn't feel the need. I'm a software developer and have created my own brewing software, which is on a par with BF, but is customised for my own particular needs. I eventually payed my dues and thought it was cheap and have been using the recipe thingy to add my recipes and other tools too. $25 is a big price hike, but still reasonable to me. Only time will tell, people are fickle you know!

It would be nice to have an "official" announcement of what is changing and what the price increase gets you but honestly I have gotten a lot of value out of this site and if that keeps up 25/year is a small price to pay in my opinion.

It would be nice to have an "official" announcement of what is changing and what the price increase gets you but honestly I have gotten a lot of value out of this site and if that keeps up 25/year is a small price to pay in my opinion.
Agreed, I think the bigger issue isn't the price increase, but the lack of communication or explanation to justify it. A little communication goes a long way to maintaining any relationship.

Agreed, I think the bigger issue isn't the price increase, but the lack of communication or explanation to justify it. A little communication goes a long way to maintaining any relationship.
Wouldn’t a stated justification imply that the price increase is debatable? What would be an acceptable justification? What would be an unacceptable justification? The company already gave you your justification. They’re keeping up with the times. When I was in high school, a Big Mac value meal cost $3. Now it costs $6. Same meal. No change. And no justification for the price increase. I do not feel slighted in any way.

Companies set their prices. Consumers decide whether the price is worth paying. I don’t see where justification is owed to the consumer.

Wouldn’t a stated justification imply that the price increase is debatable? What would be an acceptable justification? What would be an unacceptable justification? The company already gave you your justification. They’re keeping up with the times. When I was in high school, a Big Mac value meal cost $3. Now it costs $6. Same meal. No change. And no justification for the price increase. I do not feel slighted in any way.

Companies set their prices. Consumers decide whether the price is worth paying. I don’t see where justification is owed to the consumer.

No, a justification doesn't imply that the price rise is debatable - that is simply a non sequitur. When I joined BF back in 2013 I baulked at paying $10 a year. Compared to $20 for a copy of BeerSmith it was pretty steep. Larry was very open about the rationale for his pricing and that persuaded me to sign up.

Your point about inflation doesn't stack up either. Back in 1984 I worked with a computer that cost around $40,000. That same processing power can be bought today for less than $400. The economics of running a website is closer to computer hardware than fast food.

You're right that BF's owner doesn't owe the consumer an explanation , but organisations that engage with their customers generally do better than those that don't. Having said that I don't have a stake in the matter any more - I decided after the last price hike that I wouldn't renew my subscription and I've migrated to Beersmith. It's not just the price hikes, and my dislike of the current owner, but to my mind the developers have done nothing to improve the site and have broken it on occasions. At least with Beersmith if it works today , it will work tomorrow.

Back