Lack of Hop bitterness/flavor

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I brewed a session pale ale in November.
7.25 lb 2row
1.25 lb munich 10L
7 oz carapils
OG 1.047
IBU 40.41
ABV 4.82%
IBU Factor 86

Warrior at FWH 14.22 IBU
Chinook @10 12.69 ibu
Centennial at FO
Cascade & Centennial hop stand for 20 min 13.5 ibu
2oz cent dry hop
S04 yeast

Mash 153

Racked to keg and turned on gas 25 PSI for 24 hrs, then purged and gas at 12 PSI for another 5 days.
First pour yesterday yielded little hop aroma or bite. It's almost like there's no hops in this batch. What's weird is I brewed another pale before this one that had 40 IBU and 82 IBU ratio and this one had way more flavor and bite. The hop schedule was a little different where I added a 60 min addition for most of my IBU's, a 5 min addition and a FO addition. Also dry hopped with 3oz of hops vs 2.

With all accounts the recipe I noted should have had a little more bite and kinda stumped why it didn't. Any suggestions?
I've been brewing 3 gal batches and these two were the first 5 gal batch.
Would dry hopping in the keg at this point add anything or just a waste of time?

It's not going to be a waste as my wife liked it but it will take her months to finish off 5 gal's alone.

First guess, water. For IPAs, (especially in Orleans parish where I’m at), you gotta build up from deionized water. For west coast I do 275:50 (SO4:Cl), but I see you’re using S-04, an English strain. If you were going for a more NEIPA style, I go 70:185 (SO4:Cl). Hops don’t work in the wrong water conditions. And will really be accentuated in the right conditions.

Next guess, didn’t use enough hops. The IBU calculator on this calculator doesn’t help me much, I usually clock mine in around 200, and they taste really nice and similar to commercial levels. And this is only from personal experience, but calculating my IPAs between 50-80 IBUs will end up tasting very lackluster in terms of hoppiness

Maybe got a batch of old hops. You definitely should have some good hop profile with those hops. I'd just drink it, myself and see about different hops for a re-brew. Or just bottle it up for you wife and she can take as long as she wants to drink it. :)

What they said^^

I just amped up a BIPA in the keg with .5 oz of dry hops for a week and it helped a lot. On a corney, use a small hop bag on a piece of dental floss. Sanitize the bag.

The only way I’ve found to get real strong hop flavor is to use a bunch in the whirlpool and I mean like 8oz and use a pump for 30 minutes while the temperature is dropping with the lid off, now you will get some evaporation so the amounts will need to be adjusted, then after use a small amount of the same hops in the keg and it works great, too many in the keg and it creates a stem flavor. As for more bitterness you can add some gypsum and it will give you a cleaner bitter

What they said^^

I just amped up a BIPA in the keg with .5 oz of dry hops for a week and it helped a lot. On a corney, use a small hop bag on a piece of dental floss. Sanitize the bag.
I may give this a try. It's really too bland for me.

The only way I’ve found to get real strong hop flavor is to use a bunch in the whirlpool and I mean like 8oz and use a pump for 30 minutes while the temperature is dropping with the lid off, now you will get some evaporation so the amounts will need to be adjusted, then after use a small amount of the same hops in the keg and it works great, too many in the keg and it creates a stem flavor. As for more bitterness you can add some gypsum and it will give you a cleaner bitter

Normally IBU's in the 40-50 range are perfect for me. The whirlpool only consisted of a little over an ounce. Reason being is the amount of IBU's that the calculator says it contributes. I normally don't see anywhere near what the calculations say but wanted to make sure it wasn't too hoppy.
Next time, I'll have to ignore the calculations and add more gypsum. Funny thing is the other two PA's I brewed didn't have any whirlpool hops and the hoppyness was almost spot on.

Back