I don't brew Lager

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
My son who is 18 doesn't like my beer! Not that he has hardly tasted any either. So I thought how about some nice lager, I hardly ever drink the stuff myself and have never made any. Had a can of Fosters once and have had San Miguel in Spain, can't say its my type of beer.

However, this week I've decided to have an epic brew week. Wife and kids are away until Sunday, so I'm free to make my house smell like a brewery.

Me being me, I thought something unusual, just because I can. So I went off to Ron Pattinson blog searching for lager recipes and came up with Barclay Perkins Sparkling Beer (1962)...

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/lets-brewes-wednesday-1962-barclay.html

My Recipe...
2kg Lager Malt
1.5kg Maris Otter Malt
200g Wheat Malt
400g Crystal Malt (70L)
500g Flaked Corn
Mash @ 65c
20g Saaz 60min
20g Saaz 30min
20g Saaz 15min
10g Saaz 5min
Yeast: Bohemian Lager 2124 @ 10c
ABV: 5% IBU: 20 SRM: 9

So what do you think, will my son drink it and would you?

Looks pretty yummy.... I'd lose the Crystal and go with something like Munich Dark, matter of opinion though (not fond of crystal malt flavor). As to whether he'd drink it.... The way I see it, if he doesn't, more for you!

I find some of my ales become pretty lager like after some keg conditioning with Chico yeast. Ozarks Blondie for instance is very lager likr but brewed as an ale. Try that one next youll smash it down.

Drop the crystal , I don't mind a well brewed clean lager on a hot day .
I'm a hop head so don't often go for these styles but its still a broad range of beers to choose from

they use crystal to darken the beer and make it sweet, its a common drink in the UK

I see why if going lager like sweet isn't necessary crisp is the Aim me thinks

I have made a blonde type ale before... Lager/Carapils/Wheat malts and kept in a fridge for a month. Hay Ho, my gardener said it was just like Stella Artois (he may have lied!), My wife liked it and drank most of it, which is odd, she doesn't drink much of my beer, then again if she has a taste her normal comment is "Its Bitter", I'd say your spot on it is Bitter, but says the same when tasting Mild!

I'm going to have a think about Dark Munich, instead of Crystal. Going to the brewing shop today. Bit concerned I might give up with my son and come back with ingredients for a Porter or Stout!

Brew beer for you first then other second heck if it's good keep it all to your self hahaha!

Keep a healthy pitch of yeast at the ready if doing a lager start it cool to keep the esters at a minimum and the grain bill simple and cold condition well and you'll have a slosh buckling beer on ya hands;).

I see why if going lager like sweet isn't necessary crisp is the Aim me thinks
Crystal will tend to make it sweet, hence my recommendation. You could also use Victory or Special B but I'd avoid the caramel flavors in a lager. Personal preference only. Agreeing with Trialben: You need a big pitch of yeast for a lager.

Oddly enough, I had a caramel lager over thanksgiving from Flying Dog and inspired by Fishers popcorn here in Maryland. Pretty good, but the caramel was more natural tasting, if that makes sense. And it wasn't front and center in the taste either

Oddly enough, I had a caramel lager over thanksgiving from Flying Dog and inspired by Fishers popcorn here in Maryland. Pretty good, but the caramel was more natural tasting, if that makes sense. And it wasn't front and center in the taste either
I can see that - subdued, it might add a nice note. I've done a "nutella" ale that came out okay, although I had trouble getting through a complete one due to the sweetness. Let's just say I like my beers dry.

that’s what gets me about you guys and crystal, that’s your taste buds not the original posters, that’s why I don't critic recipes, to each his own, why should I tell you what you like, oh wait I cant ;)

that’s what gets me about you guys and crystal, that’s your taste buds not the original posters, that’s why I don't critic recipes, to each his own, why should I tell you what you like, oh wait I cant ;)
You're right and that's why I express opinion, not gospel. If asked "what do you think," that's how I answer, what I think. I do use crystal in some size but, again IMHO, what's the point of brewing a "clean" lager and then loading it up with caramel flavors? To each their own. Recipes aren't really my thing, I'm a process guy, but when asked, I'll offer an opinion. Only that.

If someone is asking for guidance on recipe formulation, it seems perfectly natural to say "here's what that amount of x-ingredient is likely to do in a beer like that". A brewer may know exactly what he likes but not how a certain ingredient contributes to (or detracts from ) that characteristic. It's different if a poster says "here's a recipe I brewed and I really like it" and the response is "too much Crystal".
The case for/against Crystal malts is simple...they'll add a certain flavor and if you like that flavor, keep brewing with Crystal. A lot of us have found that little or no Crystal malts in lighter beers makes our beers better in one way or another. Knowing the difference between more highly kilned but unconverted malts vs "stewed" Crystal malts that are (partially?) converted and then kilned is important in formulating good recipes. A lot of dark beers need Cara/Crystal or some version of it, but throwing C-40 or C-20 or even Carapils into every recipe isn't necessary if you know how to get what you're looking for with less processed malts.

you should then reword your statement to say this is what I would do because "this" and not say this is what you should do

and for the record people don't ask for one persons opinion they ask the forum

^^^? Not sure who or what that's in response to... Nobody's statement says "should". The word "should" only appears in your posts and nowhere else in the thread. :)

And "for the record"...how could anyone offer anything but their own opinion? Since the forum's opinion is being solicited, should we wait until addressed by name to offer our ideas? :D

Yes I asked and am thankful for any and all opinions. I like to learn and to consider anything. In this case I'm following a recipe which was brewed by Barclay Perkins for at least 30 years. Think I was being a bit perverse in the original post i.e. I don't brew lager... This "Lager" was not marketed as lager... The original colour was around 25 SRM... I think it was quite common at the time for English breweries to brew lager which was a half way lager/ale type beer.

I agree, I have family in the UK and the pubs beers are excellent, even room temperature

Yes I asked and am thankful for any and all opinions. I like to learn and to consider anything. In this case I'm following a recipe which was brewed by Barclay Perkins for at least 30 years. Think I was being a bit perverse in the original post i.e. I don't brew lager... This "Lager" was not marketed as lager... The original colour was around 25 SRM... I think it was quite common at the time for English breweries to brew lager which was a half way lager/ale type beer.
That would have changed my recommendation slightly....

Well I've been to my local homebrew shop (Its not local but near a nice pub with lovely beer)...

This is what I decided to buy to make my "Lager" o_O

3kg Golden Promise Malt
3kg Lager Malt
50g Cluster
50g Fuggles
50g Hallertau Hersbrucker
50g Saaz
London Ale III

Only a tad different from what I intended... :oops:

Back