nice, Ive never had Lager Malt but I love all of the rest, good luck

3kg Golden Promise Malt
3kg Lager Malt
50g Cluster
50g Fuggles
50g Hallertau Hersbrucker
50g Saaz
London Ale III
You don't mention your intended hop schedule, but you've got a lot going on there and quite a volume of hops. That's enough for a lot of IPAs. Any one of those alone split between 60 minutes and 5 minutes boil time will give you sufficient IBUs for a typical lager. I'd avoid using all of them together and keep it simple. You could either choose one and split it or choose 2 and use half of each.
Cluster and Saaz is a favorite combo of mine with part of the Cluster for the bitter and the Saaz and remaining Cluster for flavor and aroma at around 10 minutes. Very classic American Pilsner hop profile.
Fuggles alone would be the go-to for an English lager and you could mix that with some Hallertau or use Hallertau alone for a more classic German noble hoppiness.
One way or another, you've got the makings of a very nice beer! :)

well , German Pils triple bach is in fermentor ...host is going away for 2 weeks so perfect time to put a slower brewing lager down .
Double decoction does seem to increase efficiency and produce some wonderful smells , hoping the beer shapes up right in the glass

You don't mention your intended hop schedule, but you've got a lot going on there and quite a volume of hops. That's enough for a lot of IPAs. Any one of those alone split between 60 minutes and 5 minutes boil time will give you sufficient IBUs for a typical lager. I'd avoid using all of them together and keep it simple. You could either choose one and split it or choose 2 and use half of each.
Cluster and Saaz is a favorite combo of mine with part of the Cluster for the bitter and the Saaz and remaining Cluster for flavor and aroma at around 10 minutes. Very classic American Pilsner hop profile.
Fuggles alone would be the go-to for an English lager and you could mix that with some Hallertau or use Hallertau alone for a more classic German noble hoppiness.
One way or another, you've got the makings of a very nice beer! :)

This might seem shocking, but this is the hop schedule...
50g Cluster 60 mins
50g Fuggles 30 mins
50g Hallertau 15 mins
50g Saaz 15 mins

So I gave up with the lagering concept and went looking for something light in colour, but interesting.

Again using Ron Pattinsons blog I found... Truman Export Pale Ale or IPA from 1883.

I've reduced the hoping rate from the original recipe from 108 IBU to 80 IBU

Have a look, seems yummy to me...
http://barclayperkins.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/lets-brew-wednesday-1883-truman-export.html

Yeah...if you've decided on an English IPA, that looks like it'll make a fine one. It'll pack quite a punch even at 80 IBUs, but that's the style.

Question from a new brewer....was it common with that long boil time? 3 hours?

Question from a new brewer....was it common with that long boil time? 3 hours?
I think in 1800s it was somewhat common, it seems to me it depended on type of beer and brewery and over the years boil time reduced. Also the price of coal would impact boil times, as shortages in wartime. I won't be boiling for 3 hours though

I've learned that long boils don't help much with modern ingredients. For me, 60 minutes unless there's a lot of Pilsner in the grist, then 90.

I only boil long for the correct volume, my normal starting boil amount is 15 gallons, if its more I just boil down to 15 and start from there

Back