Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/557842/perky-blonde-ale

New Brewers Edge first Test batch
Expected 75% based on research but hit 78% efficiency
Used 5 gallon Igloo cooler to hold sparge water
temp varies on display from 148 to 158 but mash stays in 150-154 F range
stir mash every 15 min of 60 min
started boil while sparging using 2qt each time took 45m to collect 5.5 gallons
had an error code because i left the lid on and slight boil over at 50m into the boil
maybe it was hop bag
crack the lid 1/4 inch and it won't boil over
happy with unit very good $299 spent
forgot to add irish moss but it will be ok
doing overnight EU cool overnight
measured 1.052 @60F on sample
used norther brewer as bittering
tossed 0.75 into primary fermenter as it cools of cascade
My 21 yr old getting in to craft beer so i made a blonde/pale ale that every one will like
look it over. I could never get this light with extract
been brewing since 1985 mostly partial mash and extracts

I just called Brewers Edge today for tips on efficiency. I usually hit 75-78% on BIAB, but I’m having a hard time hitting 70% with the Mash & Boil. Most of my recipes are about 12 lbs of grain. Yesterday was 16.62. I was looking for 1.079, and got 1.064. Disappointing. I’ve never had a kettle error. I’ve seen plenty of talk about them, though

I just called Brewers Edge today for tips on efficiency. I usually hit 75-78% on BIAB, but I’m having a hard time hitting 70% with the Mash & Boil.

I used 3 gallons per 9# mash 1.33 qt / # still mash take time to slowly sparge. they have a blog on efficiency qt/#
don't use 1.37/#
I tasted grains after sparge almost no sugar left
https://www.brewersedge.com/blog

Thanks. I saw that page yesterday. Probably my biggest difference is my sparge speed. I dump about a gallon at a time, usually 2 gallons total,with about 5 minutes in between dumps. I could easily do it slower, since it takes so long to reach a boil. I also recirculate, which they told me today they found doesn’t help with efficiency. He did say it helps with temp control.

Thanks. I saw that page yesterday. Probably my biggest difference is my sparge speed. I dump about a gallon at a time, usually 2 gallons total,with about 5 minutes in between dumps. I could easily do it slower, since it takes so long to reach a boil. I also recirculate, which they told me today they found doesn’t help with efficiency. He did say it helps with temp control.
My mash was very stiff. I did drain a quart of liquid twice to pour back on mash during mashing. I shut off heat till I was sure I had sparged thru 1 gallon. My main temp was at 143. I turned on boil and sparged slowly till I hit 180F. I had to use 4 gallons to collect 5.5. Next time it will be 1 qt more. I lost 0.5 gallons during 1 hour boil.

Much better efficiency today, but still a few points shy. I brewed the same recipe again as I stated above (part of the plan, I’m giving away half of it with our Christmas cookies). Looking for 1.079, I got 1.073. Max grain capacity for this system is said to be 16 lbs. This recipe is 16 5/8 lbs. I expected to get lower efficiency with the big grain bill. I’m happy with the 1.073. I started recirculating 30 minutes into a 90 minute mash. When the grains were draining, I continually stirred and lifted them in the basket to get the water to pass through. I dumped a gallon or so at a time of 170° water through the grains twice. Hopefully I’ll get my efficiency I want on a smaller grain bill recipe. And with 10 minutes left in the boil (when I had a hop bag full of spices tied high to the handle), I got the dreaded E4 error. Happened 4 times, even after pulling the hop bag.

I read somewhere about efficiency dropping a bit with max grain bill but 73% is not bad. maybe collect 6 gallons vs 5.5 and boil longer might get you a point or 2. Im going with 75% as a target efficiency. I can live with that as the system allows me to walk away while mashing and boiling. I could never do that with a gas system because i was always afraid of a problem
Nice to brew in my kitchen and not the garage in NE winters

Yeah, it’s a longer brew day for sure, but I’m in the basement instead of the garage. I do like that.

ok im going to update my efficiency. I just racked and came up 1 qt short of the 5 gallon mark accounting for hops and yeast in the primary
so may efficiency was 73% next time i will collect 1 qt more at sparge

Jeff to get a better efficiency just grind the grain finer then add rice hulls to prevent the slow sparge with your pump, what ever you can fit in 2 hands and your set

I can’t grind the grain finer. I don’t have a mill. But I could grind the grain twice!

Today, I did grind the grain twice. I also lifted the grains (turned them, not really a stir) during the 4 1/2 gallon mash (11 lb grain bill), and I lifted the grains during the sparge and drain to an extent. I got 79% efficiency. I am quite pleased with that. I think I’ll only do low gravity beers in the Mash & Boil. I’ll use propane for my Holiday beer. It’s really my only high gravity beer.

I have another thread going today where I did a 3 vessel type set up with the Mash & Boil. If you’re interested, you can find it here.

just tested Blond Ale after 1 week in bottle. Its a keeper will be brewing this again. Better than any extract brew after 1 week. Nice slight buttery citrus caramel tone

Tasting notes after bottle aging
Looks - Nice Blonde color - good head retention
Smell - malt/ citrus grassy
Tastes - Hides its ABV well - very well balance - good citrus hit but not too strong as its a blond ale
Over all very well balance Blond ale american style. very drinkable
i would give it 35 out of 40 - better than many commercial examples

Will add this my gota brew rotation

Back