Adding oak to primary

Myndflyte

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I have an oatmeal stout that is about 10 days into fermenting and this weekend I was going to add 1.5 oz of Hungarian oak that I have soaking in bourbon. My question is can I just throw them in the primary bucket or should I rack it to a secondary? To be honest, I'm just feeling lazy and don't want to deal with my glass carboy but if I'm going to get better flavor by racking it, I'll do it. Has any one just oaked in the primary?

Ideally, you'll want to age it a little on the oak and you'd be better to have it in glass with an airlock just to keep any local microbes from finding a home.

Ideally, you'll want to age it a little on the oak and you'd be better to have it in glass with an airlock just to keep any local microbes from finding a home.
Or if you keg throw em in there purge o2 than rack into keg.

Ive actually been considering some oak chips ive got lying around into my half drunk chock coffee stout to age on.

Or if you keg throw em in there purge o2 than rack into keg.

Ive actually been considering some oak chips ive got lying around into my half drunk chock coffee stout to age on.
I thought about doing that but at some point I think I'm going to want to take it off the oak cubes so I think I'll just have to suck it up and use the carboy.

I thought about doing that but at some point I think I'm going to want to take it off the oak cubes so I think I'll just have to suck it up and use the carboy.
Yeah just pressure transfer to purged recieving keg once done. @BoomerBrian is your man for this.

Back