Brewing Ozarks Blondie

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
@Ozarks Mountain Brew
Gday Oz im looking at brewing you Bondie brew mate so have a few questions that i hope you dont mind answering.

First off how do i link this brew to your recipie? Ive coppied it and tweeked it as youll see to my profile and what ive got on hand grain and hop wise. I guess its not an exact copy so maybe i cant link it in to your master recipie. Unless i click brew on your drop down menu recipie icon and make a snapshot:rolleyes:.

2nd queation im using wlp090 yeast youve got Abbaye yeast from fermentis how critical is this yeast in this recipie?

3rd question hops im opting for cascade at this moment but have plenty fuggles if you think that will play better as a substitute? Ive got plenty sazz for whirlpool which im actually going to hop stand @80c for 20min. Whatdya think?

4th question flaked rice ive got none but have plenty regular rice ive got brown white and aborio:p. Whats the deal with the rice i cook this as per usual first then mash in or do i just mash longer and add the hard stuff in at 68c? Never done rice adjunct before in a brew.

Looking at brewing this this weekend i was going to make up my own blond style easy drinking ale but thought that blondie looked like a nice drop;). Cheers for any help...

Oh heres my tweek of your recipie if you want me to take you off as the source of it just let me know:).

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/550872/blondie

Oh one other question of course water profile please ive got a two stage filter one sediment the other carbon? Will be first time brewing at my new joint too!:D
So may be a few hiccups finding a good spot to settle in for the session...

WLP090 isn't even close to Abbaye yeast. You'll end up with a basic American Blonde Ale. It'll be good, but not like the Blondie. Belgian yeast strain is what makes a beer like this. Fermentis T-58 is similar.

I've used rice quite a few times...no doubt that flaked rice or Minute Rice from the supermarket is easiest by far - just throw it into the mash. If you're cooking, use more water than normal and simmer longer - the mushier the better. The starchier varieties like Arborio or yield the most starch for conversion.

Also, calculate whatever water you're using to cook the rice in with the total mash water volume. You can use the boiled rice as if it were a decoction to raise the temp of the mash...strike at 136 and raise to 148, for instance. I used this calculator to figure out the temp raise: http://www.onlineconversion.com/mixing_water.htm.

ok I remember that beer, it will taste good any way you brew it but it won’t taste like mine because of the hops and yeast but I have brewed one like your suggesting and it was good too, by the way you have to age beer made with rice a little bit because of the texture, it takes a while to blend in with the malt, flaked rice is used only for upping the alcohol with no added flavor which makes it a lighter taste and appearance and beware it turns into a pasty glue in the mash, you can have a stuck sparge easy with rice, Ive never used regular rice so I cant comment I wouldn't use fuggles cascade is fine, good luck

Cheers JA and Ozarks. No worries bout stuck sparge when BIAB ing.

So when recipie calls for 1kg of flaked rice thats 1kg if dry rice? Eg if i were to cook up 1kg of dry rice the volume would be huge!

I might just dial back the rice to half that and go 500g instead:) and ill set brew house to 75% as im sure efficiency may suffer. Ive got faked quinoa :rolleyes:.

On water im gunna go balanced profile.me thinks around 50ppm of calcium chloride - sulphate.

Last edited:
its a very light blond so use any blond or lager water profile, in my beer the hops did not over power the taste, it was a very even good tasting blond, I couldn't put it down. if its whole rice it needs to be partially cooked or until its soft, if its minute rice just bring it to a boil then throw it in, use the rice water too by the way

just think of rice as the 2 row, don't be scared of it, you'll probably get less sugar from whole or minute than flaked so I would use it all

Pound for pound, rice is the same...ditto with corn in flaked or cooked form. Just use the dry measure of whatever you go with. It's just starch.
I find rice beers are pleasant in flavor, but they will be thinner in mouthfeel. A bit of aging, as Ozark suggests will make any relatively light beer better.
BTW...you may have to mash a little longer to convert all the rice. There really won't be any trace of it when you're done if it's all converted.

Ok thanks will keep the 1kg of rice. Just a new frontier for me the adjunct side of brewing. Ill take your word for it OZ and ill mash for 90min insted of 60 JA. ill still doe in at 68 as per Ozarks recipie and just hold it there for 90 then raise to 75 ish centigrade for sparge mash out:).

Im not planning on consuming this keg for awhile but am linning it up for the hot summer that is already upon us here in sunny Queensland!:cool: ive got two kegs of lager a nice crisp ale and half a keg of stout for the meantime:).

So last time through ill measure out 1kg of dry rice. Cook it like im going to eat it add this and rice water to mash? Thanks fellas.

Screenshot_20171010-204459.png

Aiming for light colored and malty for this brew numbers lined up pretty good.

Your WLP090 will make it damn near a lager in terms of flavor - quite a good beer in it's own right - but do yourself a favor and pick up some Belgian yeast. Since you're going into summer, you'll enjoy some Belgian Blonde and Wits. While you're at it get some Saison yeast and let 'er rip when the temp gets up.
Abbaye, T-58, M-29, Belle Saison all good Belgian and Saison yeasts in dry form.

Ok thanks will keep the 1kg of rice. Just a new frontier for me the adjunct side of brewing. Ill take your word for it OZ and ill mash for 90min insted of 60 JA. ill still doe in at 68 as per Ozarks recipie and just hold it there for 90 then raise to 75 ish centigrade for sparge mash out:).

Im not planning on consuming this keg for awhile but am linning it up for the hot summer that is already upon us here in sunny Queensland!:cool: ive got two kegs of lager a nice crisp ale and half a keg of stout for the meantime:).

So last time through ill measure out 1kg of dry rice. Cook it like im going to eat it add this and rice water to mash? Thanks fellas.
No problem using dry rice, just cook it first. It's called a cereal mash - add some malt to your grain and cook it for about 45 minutes. It's important to cook it before mashing - rice starch gelatinizes at such a high temperature you'll extract little or none of the starches if you don't cook it first. American light lager makers do this all the time. Maize: Same thing. Rye, same thing. Wheat and barley can be used without cooking - low starch gelatinization temperature. But none of the other cereals can.

Your WLP090 will make it damn near a lager in terms of flavor - quite a good beer in it's own right - but do yourself a favor and pick up some Belgian yeast. Since you're going into summer, you'll enjoy some Belgian Blonde and Wits. While you're at it get some Saison yeast and let 'er rip when the temp gets up.
Abbaye, T-58, M-29, Belle Saison all good Belgian and Saison yeasts in dry form.
Cheers JA I have to use this yeast again (wlp090) its my 2nd slurry generation with this yeast so will let it rip in this blonde for me I'm happy with larger like:).

I will pick up some saison yeast when next at the brew store. Mangos are in season here and have wanted to brew a mango saison for a long time.

Reactions: J A
No problem using dry rice, just cook it first. It's called a cereal mash - add some malt to your grain and cook it for about 45 minutes. It's important to cook it before mashing - rice starch gelatinizes at such a high temperature you'll extract little or none of the starches if you don't cook it first. American light lager makers do this all the time. Maize: Same thing. Rye, same thing. Wheat and barley can be used without cooking - low starch gelatinization temperature. But none of the other cereals can.
Ok so on brew day I'll start by simmering the 1kg of rice with a touch of Marris otter for around 45 minutes to soften the rice then fill kettle to strike temp volume or a little less to account for the 1kg of rice used and mash the whole lot in then begin 90min mash @68c. Yes?

Pretty much...look up cereal mashing - that's what you'd be doing. let the rice sit with15% of it's weight in crushed Maris Otter in about 3-4 quarts of water at 158F for 30 minutes. then bring up to boil and cook for 45 minutes. I'd have to look up the notes from last time I did this.
Or just cook the rice...by far easiest and will give essentially same results. Weight of the water plus weight of the rice and temperature (assume near boiling) is what you need to use to calculate temp raise when added to mash. It'll raise it quite a bit. Start with a thick mash and be ready to add boiling or cold water after the rice to stabilize at your main mash temp.

Shes all done chilling down in fermentation chamber as i log this with my air stone pumping filted O2 through the wort.

I ended up cooking the rice up yesterday evening 1kg-4lt if warter no barley. I broke this up into my mash this morning (it was like a gluggy brick). I thought my efficiency was goung to be crap because of all the rice clumps it was a mission to get it broken appart. I think next time ill cook it in the bag in the kettle prior to mash in.
But efficiency was spot in actually preboil was higher than expected with 1.038 expected 1.033! So no dramas on extraction or diastic enzyme power in kettle even at my 6lt/1kg grist grain ratio:).

One thing i did notice was persistant hot break through boil especially at hop additions at the end of boil that 10 minute did not want to die down and kept sticking to edge of kettle:mad:. But wort has plenty of trub in it im guessing from rice ?

The pick is a preboil sample my post boil is cruddy as but its a nice straw colour reasonably bitter with plenty citrus flavour little aroma but will no more after wlp090 has had their turn with it:p.

Cheers Oz for the recipe FG was spot in at 1.045 @80% brew house;).

Oh was first time brewing at me new joint under me patio with storms billowing round see me pool in background YEAH BABY!

Attachments

• 20171014_101940.jpg
    20171014_101940.jpg
    989.5 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
But wort has plenty of trub in it im guessing from rice ?
If the rice converted, it should have left nearly nothing. I'd be concerned with unconverted starch in the mash. You'll know what you're dealing with if the beer refuses to clear no matter how long it lagers and has a slightly slicker mouthfeel like an oatmeal stout would have.

Well cant be much unconverted starches left at 90% conversion:). Will have to wait and see in a couple of weeks time how it pans out im optimistic itll be fine touch wood:rolleyes:.

Reactions: J A
Well i was bored work got postponed because of weather so i thought id check how that blondie is going:p...
Have a look at that trub!:eek: its up to the 4 lt mark! So im looking at 17lt kegged at this rateo_O i know a good cold crash will compact it down some more its only been 3 days since brewnday.

Its sitting at 1.014 68% attenuation so it should drop 2 or more points but im not expecting much feementable sugars left as i actually mashed at 70c.

Taste is way differnt than what im used too its very watery with a slight malty edge its got some light hop aroma on the nose. Ive got a bit of work left untill this one is sitting in the glass.

Attachments

• 20171018_084437.jpg
    20171018_084437.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 20171018_084406.jpg
    20171018_084406.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 145
it was designed to be a summer easy drinker manly for my 80 year old dad who drank 3.2 lite beer all of his life but I fell in love with it too

Back