Fermentation temperature oscilation in lower temps

Gledison

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Currently an almost perfect temperature in Germany ferment outside (ca 55°F).
It seems that fermentation is going well but im wondering during the night. Temperature is dropping to 44-46F. Airlock is still showing signs of activty and refractometer readings are decreasing every day.
I see lot of discussions about trying to avoid hihger temperatures. What about lower temps as in this case?
how this will affect my final beer? or during the night the yeast is just doing like me...sleeping :)
Cheers

Use a temperature controller and put a heat belt around it, like fermwrap. Then it won’t drop that far. The colder temps would certainly lengthen the required fermentation time, to say the least.

If the temp swings aren't too drastic, a simple waterbath will keep things pretty close. Even without a heating or cooling, a sufficiently large tub that will allow for about the same amount of water as wort and cover your bucket or carboy up to the level of the wort inside will go a long way toward keeping things consistent.
Most yeasts, especially lager strains will do much better if the temperature is kept the same throughout the fermentation process. Raising temperature as things slow down is pretty common, but temperature dropping may cause the yeast drop out and stall.prematurely.

If the temp swings aren't too drastic, a simple waterbath will keep things pretty close. Even without a heating or cooling, a sufficiently large tub that will allow for about the same amount of water as wort and cover your bucket or carboy up to the level of the wort inside will go a long way toward keeping things consistent.
Unfortunatly not possible with my setup:(
im thinking of moving the Bucket inside of my apartment, temp is ca 20 21C. soon a wine refrigerator will take care of temp control :)

Reactions: J A
Will your fermenter fit into an ice chest? That'll take care of it...or just wrap it in a blanket or two.

Unfortunatly not possible with my setup:(
im thinking of moving the Bucket inside of my apartment, temp is ca 20 21C. soon a wine refrigerator will take care of temp control :)
If you're past half way in the fermentation, warming it shouldn't be a problem. Think of it as a diacetyl rest.

If you're past half way in the fermentation, warming it shouldn't be a problem. Think of it as a diacetyl rest.
I was thinking exactly about that. I will move the bloody bucket inside :p

Reactions: J A

Back