Revamped Corona

Nugnut

Trial Member
Reaction score
Well I had my grain and nothing to mill with until I came across this Corona Mill, so after much research on this and other sites I set about to pimp it and this is the end result. I had my next door neighbour cut a thread into the shat on hisd lathe which took the wobble out of the plate, added washers in the shild clam and inserted a bolt where the handle was and voila.
Powered by an old 18v high torqueMakita I will see how it goes this afternoon for my first all grain/BIAB.

Grain mill 1.png Grain mill.png

That looks great!

Well I had my grain and nothing to mill with until I came across this Corona Mill, so after much research on this and other sites I set about to pimp it and this is the end result. I had my next door neighbour cut a thread into the shat on hisd lathe which took the wobble out of the plate, added washers in the shild clam and inserted a bolt where the handle was and voila.
Powered by an old 18v high torqueMakita I will see how it goes this afternoon for my first all grain/BIAB.

View attachment 1943 View attachment 1944
Bloody beautiful mate:p! Necessesity is the mother of all inventions. I use a similar bucket like that one on the top for my Sparge bucket. Wacked a heap of holes in the bottom and just plop it ontop of the keggle bag and all and trickle sparge water down through. The cone shape helps I think with extracting all the sugars off the grains by forcing down through the grain bed.

Nice, I did something similar to mine but I'm still trying to figure out how to increase the size of the hopper. And need to find an electric drill, I'm using an 18v Dewalt but doing grain is damned hard on the batteries.

tducyv4.jpg

Also, I took the bottom half of the bucket and made a cover for the mill. So the grain doesn't fly everywhere.

Hawkbox

I just bought a cheap plastic waist bin from the local reject shop. Holesawed a hole the size of the current hopper and pushed it on and fixed it with silicon. Worked a treat.

You don't have issues with the grain not funneling in correctly?

Nice, I need to look into that a little more seriously.

nothing wrong with simple, I laugh when I look at mine every time, I don't have any picks, ill post one later

Nice, I did something similar to mine but I'm still trying to figure out how to increase the size of the hopper. And need to find an electric drill, I'm using an 18v Dewalt but doing grain is damned hard on the batteries.

tducyv4.jpg

Also, I took the bottom half of the bucket and made a cover for the mill. So the grain doesn't fly everywhere.
Check yard sales. I found an old one for a buck. They don't die easily

I've been working on it, but it's not the time of year for garage sales around here. If I had been forward thinking I would have went after one in the the spring.

ok I took one, here's an quick and easy way to stay lazy, a high torque low rpm drill that floats and works great, the key to the drill is the alignment to the shaft, I replaced the bearings in my mill once because I had the drill screwed down so trying this, the lids are screwed to the plywood, use any buckets, flip them around if your first one is full , next is making a bigger hopper but Ive found that too much pressure on the rollers stops the grain from going through so I'm still thinking

WP_20170929_10_10_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20170929_10_10_22_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I'd like to find a good roller mill but I'm trying to stay on the cheap doing my brewing at least for the first year of my doing it.

Nice. I'd like to find a good roller mill but I'm trying to stay on the cheap doing my brewing at least for the first year of my doing it.
I'm still staying on the cheap five years in....

If it weren't for a couple others saying to the contrary, what I have read is that the Corona won't properly crush the grains nearly as well as a two roller will yield. Just my two cents as I don't have a grain crusher yet. I still buy my grains crushed from the LHBS when I need a grain bill filled.

I've brewed 15-20 batches with my Corona mill & drill setup without issue, they've all come out quite nicely if not always exactly within my expected efficiency. It doesn't so much crush the grain as shred the grain, my understanding though is the issue there is a stuck sparge more than a problem with the mashing. I use a brew bag in my mash tun and have no issues.

Ive found that too much pressure on the rollers stops the grain from going through so I'm still thinking
I have had the same problem with that type of mill. I have a Barley Crusher and if I mill North American malt I'm fine on the factory setting. But If I mill Wyermann malt or Maris Otter from England with factorysettings the mill will stop, as if no grain is touching the rollers. The kernels from these malts are slightly larger and occasionally they will hit the rollers just right and stop going through.

The way I have fixed it is to open the gap up between the rollers a little bit and it works just fine. After I run it through once, I will put it back to the factory settings and do it again to keep the crush the same as the grain from North America. I have done it with out a second milling, but my efficiency went down slightly on that batch.

Back