Full Monty British Ale

Wortlover

Premium Member
Reaction score
This weekend I plan on brewing an English Ale. I found a recipe on AHA, Dennis Collins, Full Monty British Ale. I copied it over to Brewer's Friend, and scaled it down a wee bit, from 6.5 gallons to 5.5. Dennis claims that the FG should be 1.010, but BF gives me an estimated FG of 1.014. What gives? I did change out Wyeast 1028, with Danstar Windsor maybe that's it.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Full Monty British Ale
Author: Dennis Collins, AHA winner

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 74% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.17%
IBU (tinseth): 33.66
SRM (morey): 11.11

FERMENTABLES:
7.33 lb - United Kingdom - Pearl (66.6%)
0.92 lb - American - Vienna (8.4%)
0.92 lb - German - CaraRed (8.4%)
0.92 lb - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (8.4%)
7.33 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (4.2%)
7.33 oz - American - Wheat (4.2%)

HOPS:
0.92 oz - Challenger, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.95
0.69 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.71

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Danstar - Windsor Ale Yeast

Primary: 14 days @ 68F
Secondary: 14 days @ 68F

sorry to ask the obvious, but is the efficiency set the same? are the grains / sources the same?

you also have to figure that his brewing rig has almost got to be different from yours in some regard, so the actual stats will vary a little bit from brewer to brewer even if the recipe is the exact same

that being said, i don't think 4 points is something to be worried about. who knows, you might get super hungry yeast that chew through that last little bit

This weekend I plan on brewing an English Ale. I found a recipe on AHA, Dennis Collins, Full Monty British Ale. I copied it over to Brewer's Friend, and scaled it down a wee bit, from 6.5 gallons to 5.5. Dennis claims that the FG should be 1.010, but BF gives me an estimated FG of 1.014. What gives? I did change out Wyeast 1028, with Danstar Windsor maybe that's it.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Full Monty British Ale
Author: Dennis Collins, AHA winner

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.042
Efficiency: 74% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.17%
IBU (tinseth): 33.66
SRM (morey): 11.11

FERMENTABLES:
7.33 lb - United Kingdom - Pearl (66.6%)
0.92 lb - American - Vienna (8.4%)
0.92 lb - German - CaraRed (8.4%)
0.92 lb - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L (8.4%)
7.33 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (4.2%)
7.33 oz - American - Wheat (4.2%)

HOPS:
0.92 oz - Challenger, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 27.95
0.69 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.71

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Danstar - Windsor Ale Yeast

Primary: 14 days @ 68F
Secondary: 14 days @ 68F
Love Challenger hops for bittering:cool:.
Not so sure(not meaning to be rude) that it's a typical British beer as ours would not have Cara red or Vienna in them,least ways not a true bitter or mild or ESB's ,nor a pale come to think of it,but what the heck:D.
Not used Windsor yeast but have used the ESB yeast and wasn't a fan of it at all.
Interested to know how this drinks when finished as i have only ever made one really decent bitter .
:cool:

This beer won the gold medal in the English Pale Ale category, in the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, out of 270 entries. Can't wait to try it. I will give updates.

Dennis claims that the FG should be 1.010, but BF gives me an estimated FG of 1.014. What gives? I did change out Wyeast 1028, with Danstar Windsor maybe that's it.
If the OG is the same, then the FG is determined by attenuation. Brewer's Friend will provide an average attenuation for a given yeast. You may get better attenuation than is listed. Other than attenuation, mash temp and time determines FG calculation. Windsor is often fairly low attenuating. If you want higher attenuation, lower FG, more dry beer, try Nottingham.

This beer won the gold medal in the English Pale Ale category, in the 2014 National Homebrew Competition, out of 270 entries. Can't wait to try it. I will give updates.
It's just a recipe, after all...you'll have to do the work of turning it into a good beer. :) Here's hoping your version will turn out well! ;)

Yep that is an interesting grist for sure. My 2c is youll get better attenuation 8 times out of 10 i do:).

Well, I brewed this puppy today. Ended up with 5 gallons instead of 5.5 in the fermenter. 1.062 OG. Definitely will not be an 8b. The challenger and east Kent hops smelled great. Taste of hydro reading wort was good. Will let you know what we're looking at in two weeks.

This looks interesting. I tried a sweet malty, British style ale Saturday. Look forward to hearing how yours goes. I used S04 and am wondering how it will turn out. Last time I used it I got what I call 'the homebrew twang', but it was probably down to shoddy temp control. Have used Nottingham since and found it to be s monster for attenuation, but not much character.

It's been 6 days in the fermenter, with no visual activity for 3 days. Took a hydrometer reading from the fermenter spigot, 1.022. Will let it sit for a few more days on the yeast cake, before racking to secondary. Still very cloudy.

I ended up with 1.020, when the dust settled, after a week in a corny at 68F. I raised to 72F for two days, and then crashed to 34F. A little on the sweet side, but not as bad as I thought. Once it's carbed up and clear, I will post a pic.

This beer is coming along quite nicely! Close to being fully carbed. Will post a pic soon. I tasted the beer a week ago, and it was really sweet, and super cloudy. Taste was to the point where I was thinking I might have to dump. What a difference a week makes. The sweetness has gone down.

Back