BIAB Total mash volume needed.

jwalkermed

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have used beer smith for a few years now and am trying out brewer's friend. One thing I like about beer smith is it calculates an estimated kettle volume for you mash (including the grains and water). Does brewers friend have this feature. It's nice to know ahead of time if you can't do a full volume mash and need to batch sparge. See photo.

volume.PNG

Last edited:
I don't believe there is. In a recipe it'll tell you the water requirements but not if it's more than what you can mash.
I'd love that feature too. Many times I'm just about pushing mash volume and it's be nice for an auto remind feature like this

I don't believe there is. In a recipe it'll tell you the water requirements but not if it's more than what you can mash.
I'd love that feature too. Many times I'm just about pushing mash volume and it's be nice for an auto remind feature like this

Yeah I see the basic water requirements. I'll just request the feature.

It didn't even occur to me that we didn't have that. I put that out for the developers, and I'm sure we'll make that a priority. Thanks for the input!

Thanks Yooper. There are so many things I like about both BF and BS. If the two had a baby you'd have the perfect brewing software.

there is a similar option with BF, click on TOOLS and select water requirements

upload_2017-9-7_19-0-45.png

you should set up your equipment profile first though

you should set up your equipment profile first though

I do have an equipment profile set up. What BF doesn't do is calculate your total mash volume, it just gives you a water volume requirement. For example If I have a 10lb grist and I require 8 gallons of water, will this fit in my mash tun? It'd be nice to know if I have to plan for a sparge. For now I have to go into beer smith if I'm going to brew a big beer that I think may not fit in my 10 gallon kettle.

I typically do full volume BIAB mashes.

i guess that part is missing
i started to do full volume BIAB recently and im calculating it without the app

any movement on this?
total mash volume would be a great addition to the mash calculator!

Haven't seen anything yet.
If you have your profile set up it will give you a warning if you have exceeded your capacity in the quick water requirements and it's pretty accurate, I've tested it.:rolleyes:

oh, nice... thanks for pointing that out! yes, i just tested it as well: it does look accurate.

still, i'd say that the "Mash Volume:" label in the mash calculator is misleading. it should be "Cumulative Mash Water:" (or some such), and there should ~also~ be a "Mash Volume:" there (especially since, as you've pointed out, that calculation is already in the system) including a warning if you're exceeding tun capacity.

and, while we're at it, why not just always display the total mash volume in the quick water requirements?

my reason for all this is that i've got a couple of different sizes of picnic-cooler mash tuns, and sometimes i want to choose one or the other on the fly during brewday, so always showing the total mash volume estimate would be really helpful. ...not hard to calculate, of course, but the BF system might as well show it when it's got it... ;)

If you have your profile set up it will give you a warning if you have exceeded your capacity in the quick water requirements and it's pretty accurate, I've tested it.:rolleyes:

Can you show me where this is. I'm still not seeing it. See attached image. In this example I'm using my profile for a 10 gallon kettle. I've added an outrageous 30+ lbs of grain. I know this won't fit in my kettle for a 5.5 gallon batch but see no alert in the in the quick water requirements.

test.PNG

under thew more tab have you selected the profile then saved the recipe

Back