Next experiment

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
This may have been done already but I haven't found any results posted my next experiment is going to be brewing a batch of beer bye going from Doan temperature straight through to 170 degrees at a rate of 1 degree every 2 minutes to see if these ramp and rest periods are necessary

My usual Mash schedule is as follows I dough in at 130 degrees Fahrenheit I immediately begin ramping the temperature to 145 degrees F I hold for 40 minutes then I ramp to 158 degrees Fahrenheit and hold for 40 minutes then I ramp up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit and hold for 10 minutes

That's a total of 90 minutes not including the ramp time which on average is 10 to 15 minutes

I am going to make this a split batch after I'm done Brewing I will ferment half of it as an ale the other half is a lager.

I'm not attempting to reach any specific flavor profile I'm simply trying to find out what will happen will the beer even taste good so to go along with this test I am again going to do a 50/50 blend of pilsner malt and pale ale malt

If anyone has tried this before I would be glad to hear your results before I attempt the experiment I don't plan on doing this batch until next month in the meantime I'm going to keep researching to see if I can find if anybody has done it and posted their results on some other forums

And just so that you know I'm not crazy Common Sense tells me that it brewing beer were that simple everybody would do it I'm just curious what it would do

It's a traditional Belgian way of mashing. The brewers who do that use a trickle of boiling water to raise temp so that mash thickness changes as it raises in temperature. I did a slow-raise step mash for some Belgian-style brews and got extremely good efficiency and great fermentable wort. You should be prepared to aerate the wort very well when you pitch and pitch a big starter so you can get the most out of your fermentables.

Sounds interesting Crunk. Pity you can't brew one with a slow rise mash and the other just single middle mash range infusion no mash out just hold temp mid range. Maybe next experiment. Will be interesting to see how the two beer fair with two opposing yeast strains . 1 lager I'm guessing 34/70 the other a clean Chico Strain?

I know a brewer who uses a simple home made HERMS setup to slowly ramp temps like this , he makes very crisp and clean lagers
Think they finish about 1.005 or so

the only thing Id say is once you get past 160 your not changing anything I would just skip up from there

Oh my. I'm excited to give it a shot, and I would be more than happy to set up a live video chat room and stream it. Mase and I are going to start skyping on brewdays for insite from each other's processes.

I saw a guy on youtube that brews live like that and answers chat question while he's doing it

Sounds interesting Crunk. Pity you can't brew one with a slow rise mash and the other just single middle mash range infusion no mash out just hold temp mid range. Maybe next experiment. Will be interesting to see how the two beer fair with two opposing yeast strains . 1 lager I'm guessing 34/70 the other a clean Chico Strain?

I would be willing to try a test like that just in the interest of keeping brewing fun and adventurous. Learning something critical or stumbling upon something is just icing on the cake.

I suppose if someone might watch someone else fish on tv, there might be a market for BrewTube!!

Great experiment.
Time and Temp. If temperature over shoot occurs what will you do to compensate, start the experiment from the beginning?

When increasing temperature during the usual process is boiling water being used? I guess what I'm trying to get at is; if it takes 10 to 15 minutes to raise mash from 130 to 145F during the usual brewing process, the experiment process ramp time is very close but, it is less. The usual process produces more glucose than the experiment process will produce. The rest period is longer in the usual process due to ramp up time with Alpha being active during ramp up. A rest at 162F for ten minutes will produce the same type of sugar, quicker, than at 158F.

Since, the usual process utilizes a maltose rest are you transferring the beer into a secondary fermentation vessel? If you are not, you should. If you find no need for second fermentation, the maltose rest did nothing. If that occurs, the malt was on the enzyme deficient side. Try Weyermann floor malt if it is available. The malt is a little richer in enzyme content.
Increasing temperature to 170F may not be the best practice. There's a type of starch that usually gets thrown out into the compost pile, called amylo-pectin. It is complex starch responsible for body in beer. The starch is heat resistant and it does not begin to enter into solution until 169F. So, what takes place is the starch enters into solution, the enzymes are denatured and cannot do anything with the starch and a thing called starch carry over takes place. Try to keep the mash temperature under 168F, it is high enough. Mash out temperature works in the decoction method, it can cause issues in other methods if precautions aren't taken.

@das alte have you conducted a test like this? I'm pretty new to brewing, so I'm just trying different things to learn more about anything I can about brewing. And to keep the fun in brewing.

Curious to your efficiency as you're only holding the conversion zone of 142-158 for about a half hour.

I frequently mash using linear temp control and know a couple other guys who swear by it. I have a theory that infusions cause thermal shock to malt compounds and enzymes

Curious to your efficiency as you're only holding the conversion zone of 142-158 for about a half hour.

I frequently mash using linear temp control and know a couple other guys who swear by it. I have a theory that infusions cause thermal shock to malt compounds and enzymes
So how do you go about your mash KC do you start off in Acid rest temp round 40c then step mash from there through protine beta and alpha then mash out. Whats your mash time start to finish.

KCI also felt that there could be shocked to The Malt by doing infusion mashing introducing boiling water several times to achieve a certain temperature I have the ability to brew three different ways my system is set up for low oxygen Brewing but I can also Brew on a more traditional method by recirculation through my rims the entire time or I can do an infusion Mash into my mash tun which is a 10 gallon cooler

I've thought about doing this but my Braumeister raises temp just a little too fast for this to work. Usually for a highly fermentable wort I mash in at 131 then raise to 143, 149, 153, 162, 168 and hold them all 15 min.

Back