Next experiment

I actually could write a script to tell an arduino to increase the temp automatically, it would only work with an electric set up but Im not completely sure with the highly modified grain we buy its actually going to change anything, Ill let you try first lol

I actually could write a script to tell an arduino to increase the temp automatically, it would only work with an electric set up but Im not completely sure with the highly modified grain we buy its actually going to change anything, Ill let you try first lol
I tend to agree: I shocked my Golden Promise's enzymes with boiling water and only got 86% conversion last weekend. Just think what I'd have achieved had I not shocked the poor little buggers....

I just think it's worth trying anything and everything I can to brew better beer every time

I tend to agree: I shocked my Golden Promise's enzymes with boiling water and only got 86% conversion last weekend. Just think what I'd have achieved had I not shocked the poor little buggers....

I have a friend that gets 95% conversion with a single infusion temperature

Crunk I'm not saying don't try it I'm with you 100% but you need a good reading before and after to be accurate

I will be taking notes all the way through, and I may just have mase over to join me in person to record it on video.

I just think it's worth trying anything and everything I can to brew better beer every time
My problem there is there are way too many opinions out there, too much beer lore. I try to base my tests and process changes on proven findings. One example of beer lore is mash temperature. Consider this: Unless you are stirring your mash constantly, there are hot spots (the center of the mash) and cool spots (the edges of the tun). Yet we treat mash temperature as if it were constant. Most of the stuff I hear about are tertiary or quaternary effects at best, they may make a difference but it's largely insignificant. I encourage people to try things and do so myself. But trying everything? Most of the "things" don't make sense if you apply a little science to them and any effect from them is so small as to be lost in variations in the really big stuff.

But I admit, there's a remote chance of a noticeable improvement, at least in a batch.

I built an ice cream maker motor into my lid for the mash tun and I am using it as a mash agitator. It works great. When it's time to set the grainbed I turn the mash agitator off and I let the recirculation set the grainbed

I am hoping to live stream my brew sessions on YouTube

So how do you go about your mash KC do you start off in Acid rest temp round 40c then step mash from there through protine beta and alpha then mash out. Whats your mash time start to finish.

Start to finish is misleading because my acid rest alone is ~16 hours. I soak the crushed grains at room temperature overnight. I don't count that time because I'm asleep for most of it. The other guys don't do that, they'll add lactic acid directly if needed.

Once I start the brew day, it could be 30-60 minutes from room temp to conversion rest. Thicker takes longer to prevent scorching. Number of rests and duration of rests varies by style and grain properties but total is usually around 60-90 minutes including temp changes in between. Typical is 45 minutes at 146°F, raise to 158°F over 10 minutes and hold for 30.

Start to finish is misleading because my acid rest alone is ~16 hours. I soak the crushed grains at room temperature overnight. I don't count that time because I'm asleep for most of it. The other guys don't do that, they'll add lactic acid directly if needed.

Once I start the brew day, it could be 30-60 minutes from room temp to conversion rest. Thicker takes longer to prevent scorching. Number of rests and duration of rests varies by style and grain properties but total is usually around 60-90 minutes including temp changes in between. Typical is 45 minutes at 146°F, raise to 158°F over 10 minutes and hold for 30.
So what ph do you achieve buy this long soak at room temp for let's say a light larger grist you never need to add any acid?

Very interesting I may just try this next brew:).

So what ph do you achieve buy this long soak at room temp for let's say a light larger grist you never need to add any acid?

Before I did this, my beginning mash pH for blondes and ambers was 5.8-6.1, since adding the step, it's 5.2-5.3. That was with distilled water, no additives.

I could not remember which post I had put in that I was going to run a test of 50% pilsner malt and 50% pale ale malt as a head retention test but I have to let you know I have done that test I took the final gravity reading last night and I hit all of my numbers my original gravity was 1.54 my final gravity was 1009

I put this logger into the spunding keg Saturday morning after 48 hours or just slightly over it had reached its final gravity I put it in the keg at 4 Points above a 10:13 to 10:14 when I took my sample last evening to take the gravity reading the phone and the head retention was amazingly different it was much thicker foam creamier phone and it held the foam head a lot longer

When the beer has completed lagering in 4 to 8 weeks from now I will draw a sample and video the sample to see how the retention hold up. I am pleased with the Improvement that I see so far my grain bill on this particular Brew was 46% German pilsner malt 46% German pale ale malt and 8% Cara Hell

Back