Medusa IPA - water chemisrty advice

Grossy

Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice on water chemistry.
Any advice on the recipe and the water salts would be greatly appreciated.

I would like to brew an IPA this weekend. 22 gallon brew.
Recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/497154/medusa-ipa
I want a very citrus and floral IPA.

I can use my tap water or RO water.

Tap Water: PH 8
Ca+2 40ppm, Mg+2 4ppm, Na+ 40ppm, Cl- 25ppm, SO4-2 13ppm (Wards), HCO3-134ppm

RO Water: PH 7.3
Ca+2 1ppm, Mg+2 1ppm, Na+ 5ppm, Cl- 2ppm, SO4-2 1ppm (Wards), HCO3-8ppm

My reading of AJ deLange water primer states that I should add:
8 tsp gypsum as well as 8 tsp calcium chloride

your tap water is fine although you have pretty high salt which will give you flavor but too much is noticeable and undesirable, I would add a couple campden tablets if you use it just to clean out the chemical taste but I have to say no on the 8 teaspoons with tap water looks like just 2.5 tsp of Calcium chloride in the mash will get you what you want

this is a good hoppy beer profile

Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, SO4=275

your tap water is fine although you have pretty high salt which will give you flavor but too much is noticeable and undesirable, I would add a couple campden tablets if you use it just to clean out the chemical taste but I have to say no on the 8 teaspoons with tap water looks like just 2.5 tsp of Calcium chloride in the mash will get you what you want

this is a good hoppy beer profile

Ca=110, Mg=18, Na=16, Cl=50, SO4=275
I should have been more clear on 1st post.

Adding the 8tsp of calcium chloride and gypsum would have been only in the RO water.

I suspected that after posting but it would take at least 24 hours to produce that much RO water, have you used it before?

I have two ways to get the RO.
1. My system in the garage.
2. There is a water station nearby.

I have not had good results with my tap water and Pale Ales in the past.
Stouts come out awesome.

this is what I do I have a dual carbon filter system that I run my tap water through and it cuts everything in half but I like a balanced profile so I add an even amount of calcium chloride and gypsum back in just to bring up the calcium, you could do the same and use 50% RO but if you go with all RO I would add more that just calcium chloride and gypsum you need some other minerals for the yeast

I have not had good results with my tap water and Pale Ales in the past.
Stouts come out awesome.
That was what I noticed in your water report: The alkalinity was not listed. If your water is very alkaline, you'd get those results. What matters, as long as you're not out for a specific mineral taste in your beer, is a factor called residual alkalinity and the acidity of your mash. Dark malts are acidic, so brewing with a high-alkaline water would work well while pale malts are less so, raising your mash pH above tolerance (5.2 - 5.6 with smaller numbers being better for lighter beers, larger numbers for darker beers). pH needs to be in that range for the beer to mash well.

Back