Fermentation too hot

Brewer #95197

Trial Member
Reaction score
During fermentation I took my eye off the ball my brew hit 40c what should I do .it's been in the fermenter for 3 days.should I rack it off the yeast and leave it.or is there no hope.

The first few days are critical with ferm temp i hear. Dont panic grab a homebrew and sit down and think better yet grab a hydrometer sample measure it record it in your brew log check your recipe for expected attenuation. Then taste the sample swish ut around in your mouth what do you taste is it got hot alcohol taste? Is it clean or is it phenolic like plastic tape or anything funky. Id definitly try to tame down the temp. Id expect its pretty much fermented out...

Won't be a great beer I suspect , temps that high are great for yeast but they tend to leave some horrible by products like fusel alcohol ( hot tasting and worlds worst hangovers ) and some powerful esters .
If you have plenty of bottles you can bottle it and try to age it or just give them to people you don't like

The first few days are critical with ferm temp i hear. Dont panic grab a homebrew and sit down and think better yet grab a hydrometer sample measure it record it in your brew log check your recipe for expected attenuation. Then taste the sample swish ut around in your mouth what do you taste is it got hot alcohol taste? Is it clean or is it phenolic like plastic tape or anything funky. Id definitly try to tame down the temp. Id expect its pretty much fermented out...
Thanks for that.i have removed it from the heat and put it somewhere to cool down.will do as you say tomorrow. Not all bad though my first to brews were great.think complacency is creeping in .thanks again

Won't be a great beer I suspect , temps that high are great for yeast but they tend to leave some horrible by products like fusel alcohol ( hot tasting and worlds worst hangovers ) and some powerful esters .
If you have plenty of bottles you can bottle it and try to age it or just give them to people you don't like[/QUOTE

Most beers dont need a lot off heat they will create their own heat through yeast fermentation you dont want to let it go above 20c i recon to be safe.

Even a saison yeast that hot will throw some mega funky flavours and would be undrinkable ....might be funny to see someone try though

Just about any yeast at that temp is going to produce nail polish remover.:eek:
I'm never a fan of dumping, but you I think you have a candidate for drain cleaner or weed killer. :(

Interesting read over at Brulosophy (Link here: http://brulosophy.com/2017/05/08/fe...-pt-7-stable-vs-variable-exbeeriment-results/). So you may be just fine after all. The experiment purposefully raised the temp and lowered in 20 degree swings with very little noticiable change in taste.
Unbelievable eh:eek: you wouldn't hear about it or believe it if there wasn't a swag of taste tester preferring hot wing beer... Yep it just goes to show pitch a goo healthy workforce at the start to get the job done and most time you come out smelling like a rose;).

Preferably I'd kick fermentation of cool let it rise into the fermentation zone then hold her steady from there but this temperature swing variable sure has me wanting a second EXBEERIMENT on this one.

So we should be getting rid of our temp controlled chambers / fridges ?
Commercial brewers getting rid of jacketed fermenters ?
The more i read on that site i less i trust them , seems like a game of how many shortcuts can i take and still make beer
I'd like to see both beers put in front of trained judges and get unbiased , educated feedback on them .

I've seen myself at our club tasting nights how poor some are at picking up common off flavours

Reactions: J A
my beer improved the most for 5 reasons, one fermentation temperature, set it for the lowest side that the yeast calls for, two water treatment, adding calcium and changing the ph, and of course sanitation is a must and I mean perfect timing on sanitation, four as little oxygen as possible, no foam no splashing always burping kegs, five perfect carbonation stop adding carbonation to kegs when your beer done, use as little as possible to dispense
once you master these steps, you'll have perfect beer every time

The more i read on that site i less i trust them , seems like a game of how many shortcuts can i take and still make beer
I find some of the comparisons interesting and I have used some of the methodology to good effect, but I think there's a limit. I firmly believe that orthodoxy should be challenged and that there's definitely room for hedging in terms of making the perfect beer (or the beer that's perfect for the purpose at hand), but things happen for a reason in the realm of microbes.
You can fool some of the single-celled organisms some of the time... ;)

Absolutely the orthodoxy should be up for review , argumentum ad antiquitatem and all that but there's only so many shortcuts you can make before it WILL have effects , i reduce the chances of bad batches in much the same way as OZ has .

Hey you pick and choose what works for you main thing BETTER BEER or better yet COSISTANTLY BETTER BEER.
The thing I like brulosophy is they do test these variables but they also say to take their exbeerments with a grain of salt and better yet test their variables. I'm totally all for testing the boundaries of common Brewers truth in the end the beer is the beautiful truth and that's why I'm going to keep entering my homebrewed beers into competitions to get some validated feed back on my brews than my own bias opinion. Cheers

I'm not going to even try hard to convince anyone , I'll continue using methods I know work ...this coming from a BIAB/ no chill brewer ( both fairly new techniques )

speaking of that I've gone years of testing and to great lengths to chill beer for the least amount of money and finally came up with a solution but it only works if you have a freezer lol

Back