Fermentation too hot

It boils down to why we brew. Some brew for competition quality and others brew to have a good beer. It's nice to know that brewing offers foregiveness and can still yield a god tasting beer.

I've been eyeing up temperature controlled fermentation techniques and equipment for a little while, but as my beers have all tasted great to my wife and I and all others who have drank our homebrew, and I have temperature swings of 5-6 degrees over the course of the fermentation, I may put that upgrade off for a little while. Keep in mind, the article was being extreme by trying 20 degree swings and not ramping up or down with "general public" taste testing with interesting results, so my 6 degree gradual swings should be just fine (and they have been).

I applaud and appreciate the sanctity of adhering to time tested (and lab) techniques, but if we don't push the envelope, we go stagnant.

Just my two cents from a novice brewer.

As is the saying there is more than one way to skin a cat;).
My local club's motto is, "You want to skin a cat the right way, do what I say. Nobody else here knows what they're talking about."

I like, "Brew and let brew" much better.

Back