First Competition Entries

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hoping for decent scores. All pretty good beers some should do quite well. Black IPA. Belgian Blond, Trappist Dubbel, Belgian Pale Ale and Saison. All for our club's inaugural Belgian Brew Brawl that we hope will be a BJCP-sanctioned event next year and will be part of the larger competition circuit.

20170501_171228.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
20170501_171228.jpg

Hoping for decent scores. All pretty good beers some should do quite well. Black IPA. Belgian Blond, Trappist Dubbel, Belgian Pale Ale and Saison. All for our club's inaugural Belgian Brew Brawl that we hope will be a BJCP-sanctioned event next year and will be part of the larger competition circuit.
Public
Your pics arnt loading there JA .

Your pics arnt loading there JA .
I'm seeing it...both when I'm logged in and logged out. Something odd with the image interface, though. I keep seeing part of the HTML code.
Can't seem to just upload a jpg and Dropbox doesn't want to just give the jpg url.

I'm seeing it...both when I'm logged in and logged out. Something odd with the image interface, though. I keep seeing part of the HTML code.
Can't seem to just upload a jpg and Dropbox doesn't want to just give the jpg url.
Now I see them John Allison :p. For the comp I entered just recently upon registration they emailed you a category paper with registration number on it so all the pre filling out was all done. It's an important part of the competition. Last weekend I was on the Pale ale table and we recieved a porter which had been mistakenly entered into wrong gattegory luckily he had accidentally did my trick and put the wrong label on his two entries and got them mixed around:D. So his porter still got judged just a little hiccup I can imagine in a bigger comp the beer would be judged as is regardless.

Reactions: J A
For the comp I entered just recently upon registration they emailed you a category paper with registration number on it so all the pre filling out was all done.

The registration for our competition provided auto-filled labels but they wouldn't print out for some reason - either my browser or printer or something - so I had to down load blanks and fill out by hand. I triple checked the info on the labels and had carefully labeled the bottles with masking tape when I filled them so I'd get the right labels on the right bottle. I feel pretty confident that I got the process right but there's definitely a lot of room for error when you're juggling 3 bottles of 5 entries. o_O

Good luck

I entered my first BJCP this past weekend but I only entered a cider which isn't particularly relevant to brewersfriend software.

I dropped the bottles off with the labels enclosed in sandwich bags rubber banded to the bottles so condensation doesn't ruin the paper. The dropoff put them in a case with other entries that had labels flying loose in the box. I'm sure those are going to get screwed up for the judges.

I dropped the bottles off with the labels enclosed in sandwich bags rubber banded to the bottles so condensation doesn't ruin the paper.

Exactly what I did! ;)
Way too much work to risk mis-identification.

Guys in our club have had that happen, having great beers score poorly due to label mixups. The way they found out is the judges were nice enough to write the cap color on the score sheets. Colors on the official entries didn't match what they entered. I at least want my feedback to be accurate. I don't intend to fix someone else's faults.

I tapped my paper labels to the bottles before filling I found the condensation and overfilling bottles didn't affect the paper at all just my 2c. Now you could imagine if the big comercial companies did a label mix up:eek:!

Results - Belgian Brew Brawl
Table 1: 21B (6 entries)

1st James Sutton Executioner's Tax - DIPA Specialty IPA SAAZ
2nd John Allison - Pine Curtain Black IPA Specialty IPA SAAZ - South Austin Area Zymurgists
3rd James Rodriguez Sippin And Smitten Specialty IPA knights of the brown bottle

Table 3: 24 (11 entries)

1st John Allison - Barely Belgian Pale Ale Belgian Pale Ale SAAZ - South Austin Area Zymurgists
2nd Robbin Duff Er'day BPA Belgian Pale Ale Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers
3rd Robert Woldman Witty Retort Witbier

Table 4: 25 (19 entries)

1st Sean Burke Circle C Belgian Golden Strong Ale South Austin Area Zymurgist
2nd John Allison -SixPack Series Belgian Blond Belgian Blond Ale SAAZ - South Austin Area Zymurgists
3rd Matthew Chrispen Blonde As A Banana Belgian Blond Ale Austin Zealots

Two 2nds and a 1st...I'll take that! :)
Three medals out of 5 entries is a result I'm pretty darned satisfied with. Can't wait to see the score sheets and judges feedback - especially on the beers that didn't place.

Top stuff JA you knocked it out the park. It's rewarding to get some qualified feed back on your brews. It'll be hard to beat that but I know you'll try:)

The fact that 60% of your entries got a medal is a very good showing. You should be proud of that, JA!

We taught you well:rolleyes: snicker snicker
Good job, nice showing.

Back