temp to put wort into glass demijohn

Markbrew65

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a 23 litre glass demijohn for fermenting my beers.

I previously used a plastic fermenter and would cool using one of those stainless cooling coils, this would get it to about 50-60 degrees. I would then put into the fermeter and put in my fermenting fridge, pitching the yeast the next day.

So my question is about the temp I can put the wort into the glass demijohn, I did some research online and it appears the 50-60 degrees temp would possibly crack it.

What temps to people on here put their wort into the glass fermenter?

Hi.

Are those 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius?

I assume you mean Celsius, and YES, it could be too much. I use a wort chiller ( the one that comes with the Grainfather ) to get the wort to 18 degrees Celsius when transferring it to my glass demijohns.

I recommend trying to cool it prior to dumping it in the glass demijohn.

You should be able to cool down to below 35C with a chiller and tap water. You may have to run the chiller a little longer.
If you really can't cool it further, you can warm your carboy a little to keep from shocking it. Run warm water over it. As long as you're not putting really hot liquid into a cold carboy, it shouldn't be a problem. And don't forget...when you're racking into a carboy, it's really just a trickle and that first bit of liquid is cooling as it warms the glass. The glass is warming slowly as the liquid rises so you should be fine.

And if you know that you have under shot your boil you can just add make up water at temp to your carboy and trickle on that.

Thanks for the tips, yes the temps were Celsius.

I may have to run the wort chiller a little longer or do something with a bucket of ice to get it to a lower temp, I ran the wort chiller to for quite a while and it did not seem to get it below around 50C so maybe I will do something further with an ice bath.

I currently use a robobrew to do the main brew then drop the wort chiller. Previously I would just dump into the plastic fermenter and put in the fermenting fridge overnight to get to temp, then pitch yeast the next day, but now I am using glass demijohns I thought I should check as searching found issues with cracking at temps.

The last brew I did I just no chilled it, will be pitching yeast to it tonight (munich helles), let it sit overnight to cool, then put in the fermenting fridge this morning so but tonight it should be at the 14C pitching temp.

@Markbrew65
I've got the dodgiest chiller out a DIY conundrum of copper kinks and bends but mate it still drops my wort to at least 29c at summer time that's at least 30+ minutes of chilling/watering the garden;). How long do you chill for? Do you stir it around through the wort? My other tip is disconnect one side of the chiller and give your boil pot a good dousing with water that will help as well I think. I brew outside btw

Thanks for the tips, yes the temps were Celsius.

I may have to run the wort chiller a little longer or do something with a bucket of ice to get it to a lower temp, I ran the wort chiller to for quite a while and it did not seem to get it below around 50C so maybe I will do something further with an ice bath.

You shouldn't need to use ice. Not sure where you are (so what ambient you run at) but I can chill from boiling to about 22 deg in about 30 - 40 minutes. The secret is to (gently) stir the wort - if you don't have any movement it will take ages to chill down.

I can chill 24.61 liters from boiling to 20°C in 5.5 metric minutes.

I can chill 24.61 liters from boiling to 20°C in 5.5 metric minutes.
Does a metric minute have 100 seconds? :)
Using my good old fashioned immersion chiller and tap water, it takes me about 10 minutes, give or take three, to get to about 75 degrees F.

Trailben,

I brew inside with an electric system so probably not a good idea to run water over it, that would annoy the fermenter and wife :)

I was not stirring the wort when cooling but will try that next time I chill.

The tap water is about 25C/76F so maybe with stirring it will come down to at least 30C

@Markbrew65
I've got the dodgiest chiller out a DIY conundrum of copprer kinks and bends but mate it still drops my wort to at least 29c at summer time that's at least 30+ minutes of chilling/watering the garden;). How long do you chill for? Do you stir it around through the wort? My other tip is disconnect one side of the chiller and give your boil pot a good dousing with water that will help as well I think. I brew outside btw[/QUOTE

Trailben,

I brew inside with an electric system so probably not a good idea to run water over it, that would annoy the fermenter and wife :)
You can either stir it with a sanitized spoon or just stir the chiller around by grabbing it at the neck and just swirling it around i find temp drops quicker this way.

You can either stir it with a sanitized spoon or just stir the chiller around by grabbing it at the neck and just swirling it around i find temp drops quicker this way.

I could also hook up my pump and take from bottom to top to create a sort of whirlpool, might also try that next time too.....its all about experimentation :)

I could also hook up my pump and take from bottom to top to create a sort of whirlpool, might also try that next time too.....its all about experimentation :)
Too true even better make sure you sanitize it before hand with some boiling wort;).

Back