Wlp810 San fran lager yeast

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Any experience with this yeast? It'll be on the higher side of its range, around 65F

that's the Anchor Steam strain... never brewed it myself, but you can ferment it like an ale, i'd personally do it at 60ºF.

I assume everyone's had anchor steam, but if you haven't, that's what you'll get with that yeast.

My understanding is that cooler ale temps will yield better results with it but given the info that I've seen, you should be fine. I wouldn't let the wort get above 65 if I could help it. I was going to use that yeast but I've settled on S-23 in the low 60's as my "steam lager" yeast.

I tried 810 about a year ago. Fun to try but not entirely a game changer.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've never brewed a lager before, but now that I have a fairly steady temp basement I can at least pull off this yeast right now.
Maybe closer to winter I could try an actual lager yeast

Thanks for the input everyone. I've never brewed a lager before, but now that I have a fairly steady temp basement I can at least pull off this yeast right now.
Maybe closer to winter I could try an actual lager yeast
34/70 is pretty temperature tolerant I hear jmcnamara not that I've fermented at ale temps but plenty people do.

Wyeast 1007 produces extremely clean beer at 14C to 17C (58F to 62F). Use soft water and you can brew an awesome German Pils with it. 1007 can have harsh bitterness with harder water, so it's important to use soft water (25ppm total hardness).

I'd go ahead with the 810. It's raison d'etre is to produce lager-like beer at higher temperatures. My suggestion would be to try the 810 now then use the Weihenstephan strain when it's cooler. I like 1007 but control its temperature, too.

810 is not the tastiest strain, especially fresh. It benefits from a long cold conditioning like all lager strains. It finishes sweet (like the estimated attenuation suggests). It plays well with munich and crystal malts.

My biggest issue was a stuck fermentation. The yeast reached 65F at the peak of fermentation, then dropped to 62F and stalled at 1.030. Keep the temperature as cool as you can and don't let it drop back down. Finish at 70F for cleanup and attenuation.

Back