American brown ale

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts about this one? your opinions would be welcome:).
Thinking of brewing this later in the week-
5litre batch,dunk sparge,60 min boil
Expected OG 1052 Expected FG 1009 ABV 5.7% IBU 41.81 SRM 22.91
1.1 kilo Pale malt
130 grm Crystal malt
110 grm Caramalt
27 grm Choc malt
plus possibly some brown malt!!! 5-7 grams

Motueka and Amarillo 3 grm each at 60 min
Cascade and Amarillo 2 grms each at 30 min
1/4 protofloc tablet at 15 min
cascade and amarillo 2 grms each at flame out
Syrian goldings 3 grm Aroma 80c stand 15 mins
1/2 pack US pale yeast re hydrated

Mmmmmmmmmmmm
going ahead with this one.No idea if it actually fits the bill of an American Brown Ale!.Should anyone think otherwise please shout
ta

Hard for me to do the conversion to lb or percentages in my head, but if I'm seeing it right, it looks pretty balanced. It maymbe just a little heavy on the overall cara/crystal percentage, but if you can get good attenuation it should be great. I'd mash low to keep the fermentables up. Should be very tasty! :)

Hard for me to do the conversion to lb or percentages in my head, but if I'm seeing it right, it looks pretty balanced. It maymbe just a little heavy on the overall cara/crystal percentage, but if you can get good attenuation it should be great. I'd mash low to keep the fermentables up. Should be very tasty! :)
Many thanks JA
Have done it and it came out at the correct OG,so we shall see:)
Never ever tried an American brown Ale.Had plenty of British Brown Ales over the years and ours are pretty mundane to be honest.
You guys still work to pounds and ounces,forgot that.I am now used to Kilo's and Grams but strangely enough if i were to weigh a fish that i have caught,it would HAVE to be in pounds and ounces:D

Reactions: J A
As long as it's not too roasty, it'll be very nice. I always tend to overshoot the roast/chocolate flavor in that sort of beer. When you get that chocolate flavor on top of a lot of residual sweetness from the Crystal malt, it can get sort of milkshake-y. The American style benefits from plenty of hops and a higher carb level to keep those flavors crisp.
Hope it turns out well for you.

I wanted to see what roasted malt tasted like by itself. I used 11 pounds of 2 row, 1/2 pound each of roasted malt and carapils with Cascade hops. I really liked it! It was a hit around here, too. I've made it a few times. I'll call it a successful experiment.

you defiantly have to be careful with roasted barley, I like it but its an taste some people don't care for, it can also make the beer harsh

you defiantly have to be careful with roasted barley, I like it but its an taste some people don't care for, it can also make the beer harsh

I had a partial keg of my Guinness clone in the fridge for a while and tried it recently. All the bitter roasty flavor was still there and it had taken on a very smokey flavor. I consolitated kegs and threw the Guinness in with a nondescript English Pale Ale that I'd done for a Smash Series workshop brew and the result is a malty, roasty ESB with a very distinct scotch-whiskey touch to the flavor. Quite nice and much better than the EPA by itself.

Ive done that too, when it comes out great its not going to get repeated "tried That" :eek:

Just bottled up 12 bottles of this one. Really nice colour, clear as crystal and looking forward to downing a few once ready:D

American Brown. One of the (many) things I hate about Texas is Shiner Bock, the archetypal American Brown. Munich Dunkel I love. American Brown is drain cleaner.

American Brown. One of the (many) things I hate about Texas is Shiner Bock, the archetypal American Brown. Munich Dunkel I love. American Brown is drain cleaner.
Mmmmmmm
we shall see. As i said previously i have never tried one so an interesting experiment!

Mmmmmmm
we shall see. As i said previously i have never tried one so an interesting experiment!
All that said, I hate cherry pie, too. I hope you love the beer, it's a style I don't have much time for.

All that said, I hate cherry pie, too. I hope you love the beer, it's a style I don't have much time for.
I must be honest,i don't much like our british brown ales that much but then they are not hop forward at all,infact mundane affairs

I don't think Shiner Bock is even close to an American Brown. It's supposed to be a Bock, which it also is not. What it's much, much closer to is a Negro Modelo...Vienna lager with color and a relatively poor example at that. It's basically just a generic American Lager with a little extra color and maltiness. That being said, I've certainly drank my share over the years and it's one that I'll choose over many, many other beers in any given situation. :)

Respect to all who like the beer and the style. I suppose there's a place for it in the world but not in my refrigerator or my fermentor.

DRAIN CLEANER!!!! I am so sorry that you have not tasted a good American Brown with the proper malts and northwest hops. J.Z and J.P. have a recipe in their book "Brewing Classic Styles". Janet's Brown is a recipe I have brewed, tweeked for my system and brewed again several times. It is a beer I will brew over and over for its drinkability and its buzz. Cheers to Janet.
To date I have brewed around 90 styles. This beer is in my top 5. Chub 1 you are on the right track. I add my own homegrown Centennial which is stronger grapefruit than Cascade but just Cascade with Northern Brewer makes this what you are describing, full flavored "American Brown Ale". Yes I have tasted Shiner Bock and not impressed. Glad I live in the northwest. We use hops up here.:p

DRAIN CLEANER!!!! I am so sorry that you have not tasted a good American Brown with the proper malts and northwest hops. J.Z and J.P. have a recipe in their book "Brewing Classic Styles". Janet's Brown is a recipe I have brewed, tweeked for my system and brewed again several times. It is a beer I will brew over and over for its drinkability and its buzz. Cheers to Janet.
To date I have brewed around 90 styles. This beer is in my top 5. Chub 1 you are on the right track. I add my own homegrown Centennial which is stronger grapefruit than Cascade but just Cascade with Northern Brewer makes this what you are describing, full flavored "American Brown Ale". Yes I have tasted Shiner Bock and not impressed. Glad I live in the northwest. We use hops up here.:p
Phewwwwwwwwwww:D

Back