System upgrade weekend

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
All my parts are in, I'll be upgrading my system to low oxygen brewing, I'll send pictures when it's done. And tested.

Can't wait to brewing again.

Gotta love it when the delivery notice shows up that your goodies have been delivered!

Brewtan b isn't obtainable in the US, I just use sodium metabisulfate and Camden tablets, it works great.

I was awestruck at the difference low oxygen brewing made. I'll post pictures when the system is complete, basically I'm building a low pressure cooker, my pressure relief valves are set a 5 lbs.

Here is the layout of the lid that I am engineering to put on my kettles it has three anchors on the Outer Edge the door in the middle is 4 hop and or acid additions there will be a seal between the lid and the kettle so it stops any air Ingress to the system I can then Purge the kettle before I start my Brew session I have not done any of the drilling yet I just wanted to give you a rough idea of what I'm doing

Attachments

• 20170401_153139_resized.jpg
    20170401_153139_resized.jpg
    670.8 KB · Views: 171
Brewtan b isn't obtainable in the US, I just use sodium metabisulfate and Camden tablets, it works great.
...both of which are turning out to be a bitch to obtain here in Germany :(
I almost wish I could say it had something to do with the "Reinheitsgebot", but mostly it just seems to be a fear of sulfur containing compounds being used for building bombs. :confused:
I guess I will just have to stock up on a few bottles of campden tablets when I visit the US in summer.

Here is the layout of the lid that I am engineering to put on my kettles it has three anchors on the Outer Edge the door in the middle is 4 hop and or acid additions there will be a seal between the lid and the kettle so it stops any air Ingress to the system I can then Purge the kettle before I start my Brew session I have not done any of the drilling yet I just wanted to give you a rough idea of what I'm doing
Are you worried about DMS trapped during the boil?

No worry about DMs I have pressure relief valves that are going to be on there

First lid is completed short of the pressure relief valve

Attachments

• 20170401_185946_resized.jpg
    20170401_185946_resized.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 144
Second picture

Attachments

• 20170401_190006_resized.jpg
    20170401_190006_resized.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 120
Looking sweet!

Just researched that the bottled spring water that I use for brewing has 8-10 ppm of DO. Will definitely be boiling my strike and sparge water. 10 Minute Boil should suffice don't you think? As I get more comfortable I will advance even further with the DO reduction, but my main focus, other than tinkering with the equipment all the time, is to just get used to and comfortable with the equipment and yield great tasting beer.

Today I painted my Keezer lid with the chalk paint. Looks pretty cool

Get yourself some sodium metabisulfite and some Camden tablets add them to the water also when you're boiling it before you start brewing and then take Saran Wrap and put it over your kettles and put your lid on top of them so that the Saran Wrap stays only keeps the oxygen out and see how your Brew day goes

So my understanding with dimethyl sulphate is that it is precipitated off durin the boil. So if you have a lid on the kettle there may be a chance of the precipitate ending back up in the brew?

I hate to break up this party but don't cover the pot while boiling, boiling causes oxygen to leave the wart anyway, cover it after the steam is almost gone and you'll be fine

I put 5 pound pressure relief valves on the lids steam will be able to release itself at will without a problem

I had a couple more toggle clamps to take up the little gaps that were in there

Attachments

• 20170401_225837_resized.jpg
    20170401_225837_resized.jpg
    879.6 KB · Views: 130
This is the mash tun lid

Attachments

• 20170401_225852_resized.jpg
    20170401_225852_resized.jpg
    585.4 KB · Views: 157
I put 5 pound pressure relief valves on the lids steam will be able to release itself at will without a problem
Ok at sea level boiling point is 212F
Add 5# of pressure and this increases the boiling point to 227F
How will this affect the wort?
5# of pressure is still enough to make a very dangerous situation with boiling sugar water... BE CAREFUL

I control the boil with my temperature controller, in the area I live, I set the controller to 213.5°f and this gives me a gentle rolling boil, which is my goal, per low oxygen brewing techniques. 214.5 gives me a typical light vigorous boil.

Back