What to expect using this many hops?

SwishBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
So here is the recipe: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/430185/fat-tug
It's an attempt at a clone of the fantastic Fat Tug, I came up with it based on what info they give on their website and I emailed the brewer and got a few vitals and the hops and tips.

I know this isn't over, over the top but it will be the most I will have used in my search for my house IPA.

I'm curious, do people think this is a battering ram approach as opposed to the surgeon?
I have always thought more is better.

Also I think all the hops "complement" each other, does anyone see anything terribly wrong here?

Cheers in advance

Stephen

that does seem like a ridiculous amount of hops. make sure you account for trub losses and such
i think they'll complement each other nicely. i don't think you'll be able to pick any one hop out of the bunch though, but maybe that's not your end goal anyway

brew on!!

Reactions: J A
Go for it. Over here in the Uk we have a brewery named 'Brew Dog' which brews a heck of a lot of beers with that many hops and more:cool:

Most folks will opt for fewer varieties in the same brew, but you'll get an interesting flavor profile. I personally think you're wasting some good hops that will get lost in the mix. Any three or four of those hops in combination with 2 of them in the dry hop would give you a damn good beer.
Of more concern might be your grain bill. That's a lot of IBUs to bounce off of a simple malt profile. More "backbone" will help support your hops. Throw in a couple of pounds of Munich or Vienna or a healthy percentage of Maris Otter. And I'm assuming that your mash sequence is incomplete. Temp may be fine, though I'd go lower and 15 minutes is, of course, not enough time.
Good Luck! ;)

Looks like something Stone Brewery would put out. If you are searching for the ultimate IPA go for it. Their malt bill is similar but they will add dextrose to lighten it up even more. And yes I second at least 60min. mash though with mash temp closer to 65C.

that does seem like a ridiculous amount of hops. make sure you account for trub losses and such
i think they'll complement each other nicely. i don't think you'll be able to pick any one hop out of the bunch though, but maybe that's not your end goal anyway

brew on!!

When I was adding them and trying to get the wort into the fermentor I was also thinking this is a lot of hops but smells fantastic now though. Can't wait to get dry hopping.
What I'm hoping to get is a beer very similar to the original.

Go for it. Over here in the Uk we have a brewery named 'Brew Dog' which brews a heck of a lot of beers with that many hops and more:cool:

Yeah, Brewdog are fantastic brewers though I, unfortunately, am not. *fingers crossed*

Most folks will opt for fewer varieties in the same brew, but you'll get an interesting flavor profile. I personally think you're wasting some good hops that will get lost in the mix. Any three or four of those hops in combination with 2 of them in the dry hop would give you a damn good beer.
Of more concern might be your grain bill. That's a lot of IBUs to bounce off of a simple malt profile. More "backbone" will help support your hops. Throw in a couple of pounds of Munich or Vienna or a healthy percentage of Maris Otter. And I'm assuming that your mash sequence is incomplete. Temp may be fine, though I'd go lower and 15 minutes is, of course, not enough time.
Good Luck! ;)

So I am still pretty new to building recipes but the email I got from the brewer ( below ) said the if it finishes in the mid to high teens if should support the IBUs.
So I mashed high, so hoping to finish in the high teens and yeah I just extended the mash time to 75 minutes.

"Hi Stephen,
Fat Tug, like most IPA’s is pretty straightforward to brew. Go for less than 5% Caramalt, and paler is better. Aim for an OG of about 1.069, and a terminal in the mid to high teens. With about 100 IBU’s calculated, you’ll need a high terminal gravity to support that bitterness. Lastly, dry hop aggressively! Use plenty of fruity, citrusy North American hop varieties, like Amarillo, Cascade, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe. We ferment with White Labs WLP001."

And what are hops worth / 100g where you are?

$9.95 Australian Dollars for 100grams, this will not be one that I will be able to afford to brew very often but if it turns out . . . well we'll see.

Looks like something Stone Brewery would put out. If you are searching for the ultimate IPA go for it. Their malt bill is similar but they will add dextrose to lighten it up even more. And yes I second at least 60min. mash though with mash temp closer to 65C.

Next time, I will give it a go mashing lower.
With my current set up I don't know if I will do it again. It was a task getting the bag out of the keg and my already terrible efficiency was even worse with this beer.

$9.95 Australian Dollars for 100grams, this will not be one that I will be able to afford to brew very often but if it turns out . . . well we'll see.

Some hops sold here in Radelaide are $14.50 per 100 g ..

$145 a kg !!
My latest NEIPA used nearly 700 g on total but bought in bulk so nowhere near that price ( not added it up though )

Some hops sold here in Radelaide are $14.50 per 100 g ..

$145 a kg !!
My latest NEIPA used nearly 700 g on total but bought in bulk so nowhere near that price ( not added it up though )

HOLY ****!

It's $9.95 per 100grams for all hops, American, NZ, German, which kind of makes me angry when they are selling Australian at the same price. Surely they are cheaper to get in

HOLY ****!

It's $9.95 per 100grams for all hops, American, NZ, German, which kind of makes me angry when they are selling Australian at the same price. Surely they are cheaper to get in
It's too early to do all the math, but that sounds about right for the US. But I think the dollar conversion favors the US a little?

What's strange is that falconers flight was cheaper than Australian Galaxy ....nothing to do with exchange rates but simple supply and demand

So I am still pretty new to building recipes but the email I got from the brewer ( below ) said the if it finishes in the mid to high teens if should support the IBUs.
So I mashed high, so hoping to finish in the high teens and yeah I just extended the mash time to 75 minutes.
High teens is a little out of range for an IPA, but it's true that if you really, really want 100 IBUs, you have to leave plenty of body and residual. Personally, What was your mash temp?
In order to get better at coming up with recipes, it may be a more productive approach to start simpler and see what does what. That way when you want to build a big, complex malt backbone or big hop profile, you're more familiar with the building blocks.

HOLY ****!

Is that regardless of variety?. That is around £6 UK per 100 grams. Now some are that sort of price but plenty far cheaper over here.

I thought you were in Aus after you helped me out with that stone and wood recipe. Yea hops here don't seem as cheap as in the US but you can't ignore them they sure do make the beer and the aromas are worth all the $.

Local hombrew store national homebrew.com hop prices vary on popularity of hop I See NZ nelson Sauvin is going for 11.50 per 100g and limited to I think 2 packs at a time to share the love with everyone else. Popular US hops like Citra, Mosaic, Amarillo ect are fetching round the 10$ mark but common Aussie hops or NZ hops are going for 6$ per 100. And you can get 2015 clearence hops for 3$. So shop around I suppose but you have to get in quick is what I've found no Galaxy left at my local for the meantime :(.

Back