Which Hops to use

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Looking to brew two PA in the next month. I'm aiming for something citrusy. Would like to incorporate two or three hops into each batch.
Grain bill#1
MO 48.4%
Vienna 25.8%
Munich 17.2%
C20 4.3%
C60 4.3%
Yeast US05, Conan, 1318 or 1272 if I can get some.

As for hops, Citra is a must. Want all hops added late. I want to add one or two of the following:
Chinook
Mosaic
Centennial
Amarillo
Galaxy
Simcoe

GB #2
Pale Malt 76.2%
Munich 10.9
Carapils 4.3%
C15 4.3%
White Wheat 4.3%
Yeast US05, Conan, 1318 or 1272

Open to any hop combinations not used in GB #1.

Thoughts please!

personally I'm really big on Amarillo + Citra.... Citra + Galaxy is my #1 go to for pales, bitter with a tiny bit of citra, then ramp up additions at 20, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1, galaxy is also quite the dry hop addition.

My go-to combo is Simcoe, Centennial (or Cascade) and Citra. I tend to add them in that order with Simcoe at 20 to emphasize the dank-pine notes. Then double down on all three at flame-out. Even without dry hopping, the aroma is lush. I'm going to switch out the Citra for Mosaic next time I do it. I'm eager to try that combo.
I think your first grain bill may be a little sweet with that much Crystal. Even without much Crystal and with good attenuation, those fruity hops trick your brain into tasting sugars.
Second one looks great, though I might trade the Carapils for more wheat. Another hop combo that I'm very keen to use is Chinook, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe. You've got 3 out of 4 of those and they might lay down a big foundation to support a heavy flame-out addition of the Galaxy.

personally I'm really big on Amarillo + Citra.... Citra + Galaxy is my #1 go to for pales, bitter with a tiny bit of citra, then ramp up additions at 20, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1, galaxy is also quite the dry hop addition.
I just did a Galaxy pale ale that I really like. I have tried Citra + Galaxy and it was great.

My go-to combo is Simcoe, Centennial (or Cascade) and Citra. I tend to add them in that order with Simcoe at 20 to emphasize the dank-pine notes. Then double down on all three at flame-out. Even without dry hopping, the aroma is lush. I'm going to switch out the Citra for Mosaic next time I do it. I'm eager to try that combo.
I think your first grain bill may be a little sweet with that much Crystal. Even without much Crystal and with good attenuation, those fruity hops trick your brain into tasting sugars.
Second one looks great, though I might trade the Carapils for more wheat. Another hop combo that I'm very keen to use is Chinook, Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe. You've got 3 out of 4 of those and they might lay down a big foundation to support a heavy flame-out addition of the Galaxy.
I really like Simcoe so may go with Simcoe and Mosaic for the 1st batch and Citra & Galaxy for the second one.
Maybe I'll cut back on the crystal on the first GB. Don't really want a sweet beer.

Reactions: J A
I really like Simcoe so may go with Simcoe and Mosaic for the 1st batch and Citra & Galaxy for the second one.
Maybe I'll cut back on the crystal on the first GB. Don't really want a sweet beer.

A pinch of Chinook somewhere in the mix on either one of those brews might add a little depth and complexity, but I don't think you can go wrong with those combinations.

Made some tweaks:
GB#2
75.7 PA
10.8 Vienna
3.6% C20
3.6% carapils
6.3% flaked Oats
Conan or 1318
Warrior FWH
equal amt of citra/galaxy at 15, 0 and 5 days dry hop
IBU 40

GB#1
66% MO
10.4% Vienna
10.4% Munich
3.5% C20
2.8% C60
3.5% Carapils
3.5% acid malt (this amt may change depending on ph)
Warrior FWH
Mosaic/Simcoe/Centennial @ 10, 0 (equal amts)
Simcoe DH for 5 days. May add Chinook as a dry hop

Thoughts?

I think I'd have to choose Mosaic for the dry-hop on that last one. :)
But they look good!

Centennial would go as dry hop in #2 also. It should blend with the sweeter malt bill.
I like #1 the way it is.

Columbus
Centennial
Cascade

Would be my choice.... In fact I do!

My two favorite IPAs so far have been Columbus/Cascade and Columbus/Centennial. All three together would be just as good if not better. :)

Back