"Strange" foam/bubbles on top of beer in bottle

SwishBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey girls/guys

Just got a quick question I hope it's nothing but I haven't noticed it before in the 16 batches that I have bottled in the last 3 years. A strange foam has formed on the top of some of the bottles but not all of them? Has anyone seen this before, I couldn't find anything, anywhere about this happening to anyone else.

20170127_194530.jpg 20170127_194535.jpg
The beer was bottled 2 days ago and is sitting at fermentation temp. of about 21c.

This is the recipe if it matters : http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/432471/lil-sipper

Thanks in advance.

What's your 'poor bottling method'

Fermentors have 2 dips in the bottom of them plus they are not see through so we couldn't judge where the trub was so ended on bobbing up and down sucking trub up to sucking air.
It may be the extra air in there but I really don't think that is it as I have never seen this before.
Other than that transferred from fermenters to bottling bucket and used bottling wand in spigot to bottle, I bulk primed it.

The major loss of beer came from when the beer got below the spigot and we got fed up and gave up trying to get it out.

My guess at this point-- maybe the priming sugar wasn't properly mixed through at bottling. These examples are showing increased fermentation due to higher sugar concentration, verses other bottles not showing the same activity.

My guess at this point-- maybe the priming sugar wasn't properly mixed through at bottling. These examples are showing increased fermentation due to higher sugar concentration, verses other bottles not showing the same activity.

That's possible.
I did add the sugar solution just as we were starting to siphon into the bottling bucket, I can't remember if I stirred it or not.

Might be a lucky dip brew, if that is the case it may need to be renamed.

If you have the bottles generally stored so you can tell the bottles first filled against the bottles bottled towards the end of the run, maybe evidence will show improper dilution was a culprit. Example- the first filled bottles show this foam activity because the sugar was added at the bottom of the bottling bucket and then the beer racked on top of that.

If you have the bottles generally stored so you can tell the bottles first filled against the bottles bottled towards the end of the run, maybe evidence will show improper dilution was a culprit. Example- the first filled bottles show this foam activity because the sugar was added at the bottom of the bottling bucket and then the beer racked on top of that.

That's a good idea.
They are all mixed up now though I was all ready to put them away when I decided I wanted to rinse the beer that had spilt on them and they got mixed up real good.

Whether it's a priming sugar issue or a wild yeast/sour infection (very easy to get when you're using buckets and spigots...been there) those foamy bottles will almost surely be gushers or bombs. Every time I've seen that, it's meant trouble. I'd put them in a sturdy container to finish carbing for a week or so and chill one down and open it to see whether it gushes.
If it's a gusher, see if the flavor is like it's supposed to be or if it has any off flavors - tangy, sour, tart fruit, etc. If it's off in any way, you better pull all your spigots apart and give them a good soak in hot PBW...buckets too - anything plastic. If it's lacto, you won't get rid of it and you'll have to replace all your plastic buckets.

Gushers are no fun. No fun at all.

I've rescued plastic buckets from a wild lacto infection before. It can be done, although it goes against conventional wisdom to do so.

I've rescued plastic buckets from a wild lacto infection before. It can be done, although it goes against conventional wisdom to do so.
If you can get it stable before it's bottled, it should work fine. Different beer that you might have wanted, but can be quite good.
It's the extra action in the bottle that dooms it. I had bombs and gusher with a couple of batches in a row before I got everything cleaned up again and got a regimen that kept everything really clean.

Looks like a healthy krausen, or looks like you've cracked the lid and ready to drink it. Good luck swish brewing if this is a fault at least you can learn from it. I've been there and had a whole batch of gushers:).

Bleach does clean well. It also evaporates from buckets that are aired out after thorough rinsing.

With some heavy cleaning I'm sure it's possible, but even though I'm a cheapskate, I'd rather pay the money for a new bucket than risk a great batch of beer going bad.
I've mostly switched to carboys, but I keep a couple of buckets around for when I'm trying to brew up a lot in a short time. I have the capacity to keep 4 batches going and more if I secondary to free up a primary. That's rare though and I'd rather cycle through every few weeks and use my carboys.

I'm going to let them sit for at least a week and just hope for the best.
I would probably pick up new fermentors and bottling bucket if it does turn out to be infected.
Going to try not to worry to much. The bottles are all in an esky so any explosions will be contained.
I will let everyone know how I go.

Lacto CAN be killed , depends on what you use for the job though
What are you using as a santiser ?

StarSan, I had it sitting in the fermentors for about 24 hours prior to brewing, shaking every time I walked past.
In the Bottling Bucket for about an hour, I ran it through the spigot for about a minute as well as spraying up the spigot and everywhere.

Starsan only needs 30 seconds to do the job , are you talking the plastic spigots like this ?
if so i buy new ones regularly , only a few $$
4875186c-48df-40c0-a355-3ad20e41f90c.jpg

Starsan should do the job with Lacto
what process are you using ? Lacto is found on grain , do you have open bags of grain near your fermentation chamber ?

Back